Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
alioubba

Gluten Rash or Allergic Reaction

Rate this topic

Hello! My 8 year old daughter is awaiting her appt with the GI for slightly high TTG IGA (not til September). Tonight she starting getting really itchy and little white bumps that look like mosquito bites started forming. It's happening on her inner upper leg, just above her bum and near her shoulders. I have no experience with this type of thing. We went to the phamracy and got some anti histamine and hope that does the trick.  It appears to be an allergic reaction, but in the back of mind I am wondering if it could be a gluten rash. Are they alike? or is there a clear distinction between the two?

I am sorry that your daughter is itching!  Celiac disease is linked to many rashes and one is DH which is a blistering insanely itchy rash (maybe more like a poison ivy or oak rash).  Try googling images of rashes and hives to at least help identify the rash/hives.    If the antihistamines work, then you will know it is hives.    To know if the rash is DH, she will need a skin biopsy to know for sure.