This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying to find out if my son has celiac

EKhas2017

EKhas2017 Newbie

Hi I'm trying to get my son diagnosed I'm not sure if it is celiac but wondering if someone could help or offer advice - my son is 2 ever since he was eating solid food he has small spots all over his body no creams have worked - he gets very bloated - he struggles to poo crying and moaning a lot until he does then smells so bad - and also gets bad night terrors every night. 

I went gluten free for him a few months ago and all of his problems pretty much went away straight away skin is still taking time to completely clear. I told the doctor who wants to do a blood test which means eating gluten for 6 weeks then it may not be that. I'm not sure whether to get the test or just carry on as we are?? I don't want to make him gluten free if it's not that especially as the food is so expensive I find. I also have another son who has none of these problems and I just don't know wat to think anymore. 

Thank u 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

The Blood test would be worth doing, if you get tested and he comes back positive it will not only provide peace of mind, but also help get him on support programs in school where they will help accommodate his food issues as a disability. Also I might suggest having your other son tested. Celiac manifest itself differently in everyone some are silent and will show no outward symptoms.  It is your choice in the end. If you just recently changed over it might bee a good time to do it now.   Also with celiac disease CC can be a issue, changing the entire house over to all gluten free would make life much simpler and safer for your child. There are many options now days and it is much cheaper then it used to be to live a gluten free life, while it is still expensive.

TexasJen Collaborator

I agree with a gluten challenge and labs.  Remember, your son is home now and you control everything he eats. but in a couple of years, he enter the world of birthday parties with pizza and cake. A gluten free diet for celiac is all the time and can be very isolating for everyone - but especially children who don't want to be different. It would be nice to confirm the disease so that you can make sure you have the right treatment plan.

Victoria1234 Experienced

I agree. You will need the diagnosis for a 504 plan in school. And then college. Things seem so simple now, but they are on the brink of being complicated for him.

by the way, we hardly buy anything that is on the aisle for gluten-free, thus saving a ton of money. We make our own food mostly. Basically the things we buy marked gluten-free are pasta and the very occasional baked good. But I've learned to eat mostly Whole Foods and my husband cooks mainly ethnic dishes that are naturally gluten-free. 

Archived