Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bee Free

Cross Contamination

I have read that it is important to avoid cross contamination by keeping food separate when cooking, etc. I also read that when you have celiac disease to keep separatae utensils for cooking and eating.

My question is whether that is necessary if everything you use to cook and eat with is washed in a dishwasher? I hope someone has some advice on this topic!

Bee Free :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Entirely depends on the cookware. Stainless steel should be fine being thoroughly washed. Wooden spoons not so much, and collanders definitely not. And non-stick pans should never go in the dishwasher anyway, so I'll assume those aren't even being asked about.

Anything that's not insanely easy to thoroughly clean without having a scrap of anything left behind is fine, but anything porous, with lots of small scratches or hole to catch food, or the like is suspect and should not be shared. (Applies to cutting boards too.)

Remember, heat can't "kill" gluten, so just running it through the dishwasher isn't necessarily sufficient, unless the dishwasher removes every last trace of anything left on the dishes.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Thanks for your input.

I will have to do some shopping - because I have been sharing the colader and plastic utensils. I had a short time where I was feeling better, and then it stopped - maybe the utensils are part of the problem!

Anything to "be free!!"