This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

15 year old

Janwill

Janwill Rookie

My son was diagnosed celiac in May 2017 and been gluten free since April. He still has mucus in his bowel movements even though he eats gluten free only. Has anyone else got these symptoms. 

Going to the Dr tomorrow as getting  no answers off his paediatrician. I am wondering if he got intolerance to something else as well. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sorry that your son is ill.  It is time to have his antibodies checked to see if they are coming down as recommended by celiac experts as part of follow-up care.  You might think he is gluten free, but maybe he is getting hidden sources of gluten.  

Open Original Shared Link

If his result are fine and celiac disease is not the cause, your GI can look into other issues (e.g. IBD: Crohn’s or Ulcerative Colitis).  Consider a food and symptom diary.  Is he off dairy?  Lactose Intolerance is common in celiacs.  It can be temporary.  Of course he can react to any food.  I hope you and your doctor can figure it out.   

Janwill Rookie

No we still.on gluten free and yes that s the plan to ask Dr for blood test. And see if it's high still. 

He year 11 high school and exams soon. He missing school and get no help from school. Will ask Dr tomorrow for blood test. 

Thanks 

cyclinglady Grand Master

My daughter, who does not have celiac disease, is also in the 11th grade.  Since you said exams instead of finals, I assume you are not in the US where a 504 plan can accommodate anyone with a disability (celiac disease counts).  This includes tudors, more time to complete tests, etc.  Do you have a comparable plan? 

Honestly, our school lunches (public) are horrid.  My kid has not purchased a lunch since the 1st grade.  I would NOT trust them to keep a celiac child safe.  Sad but true!  My girl who has celiac disease even works for the district’s food service and does not eat their food.  If course it might be different where you live.  

I hope you find answers.  

The learning for celiac disease is VERY steep.  Teens also like to fit in.  

May was just a few months back. It can take a up  to a year or longer to heal.  So patience is necessary.  Hang in there Mom!  

Janwill Rookie

We in the UK he takes a pack lunch and have asked for a health plan so wait and see. Not easy when he taking his gcse and he wants to do well. Thanks for the advice 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I would stick to a very basic gluten-free diet as recommended by Dr. Fasano and other celiac experts.  It would not hurt for a short amount of time and might get him through his exams.  

This is the study about dealing with Trace Amounts of Hidden Gluten (not saying your son has non-responsive celiac disease) Look at Table 1 found a few pages into the report.  The diet is basically, plain meats and fish, veggies, fruit, rice, etc.  — nothing really processed.  It is what I do when I get “glutened” until I recover.  

Open Original Shared Link

Archived