This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acid Reflux

eeyor-fan

eeyor-fan Contributor

I've been gluten-free since Sept 28th and I know I'm not getting glutened. When I went gluten-free I felt 100times better for a long time but the last few weeks it is like I'm back to square one again with awful acid reflux. I'm getting more tests on thursday and my doc recommends doing a new colonoscopy and endoscopy after Christmas. I'm on protonix for now, but he thinks there is a possability for refractory sprue (lets pray not)...any one else go through this?

Hugs

Bridget

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

The only time I ever had a heartburn type of thing is when I tried roasted pumpkin seeds. Those darn things gave me a hard time for the next 24-36 hours. I wouldn't call it reflux though, just a burning type of feeling. Anyway, I suppose it might be a new food you've introduced.

Seems to me that "acid reflux" used to be called heartburn, which is commonly caused by indigestion. Apparently, when the acid in the stomach is diluted too much, food sorta sits there. Remember that stomach acid is supposed to be very strong - enough to dissolve your own hand in about three minutes!

One thing that many have found to give relief is apple cider vinegar. I know it doesn't seem like the sort of thing to take for heartburn, but I've read numerous testimonials on it. It seems it will help bring up the acid level in the stomach, aiding digestion, thus solving heartburn caused by indigestion. Google will turn up various articles on how much to use, but from what I read it must be the real thing, not the flavored vinegar. It also happenes to be naturally gluten-free too :)

So, by taking antacid, you are basically defeating the natural process, and the relief comes only when there isn't enough acid left to do anything. That's probably why people who take it end up using it all day too.

Hope this helps you.

lizzy Apprentice

hi i have acid eflux ever since there removed my gallbladder and i take acified as neium as gluten in them i was on them before i knew i had celiac diease and also once i started the gluten free diet i noticed my acid efux was worse and now i depend on them every day other wise i get gastitus and am sick for weeks liz

nettiebeads Apprentice
I've been gluten-free since Sept 28th and I know I'm not getting glutened. When I went gluten-free I felt 100times better for a long time but the last few weeks it is like I'm back to square one again with awful acid reflux. I'm getting more tests on thursday and my doc recommends doing a new colonoscopy and endoscopy after Christmas. I'm on protonix for now, but he thinks there is a possability for refractory sprue (lets pray not)...any one else go through this?

Hugs

Bridget

I've noticed that certain types of gluten-free breads give me really bad heartburn. Have you been able to tie it to a certain food type, or is it everything? I haven't been able to tie mine to any particular grain, as all of the gluten-free breadstuffs use so many different flours. If I crave baked goods I know I'll be going for the gluten-free antacids later.

Annette

eeyor-fan Contributor
I've noticed that certain types of gluten-free breads give me really bad heartburn. Have you been able to tie it to a certain food type, or is it everything? I haven't been able to tie mine to any particular grain, as all of the gluten-free breadstuffs use so many different flours. If I crave baked goods I know I'll be going for the gluten-free antacids later.

Annette

Honestly, my GI and I think it is probably from contaminated Zelnorm. It started when I switched Pharmacies and had nothing but problems there (The pharmacist even read ingrediants to me and asked ME if it contained Gluten). Beware of Carteret NJ Walgreens if your celiac. This was the first time I ever got Zelnorm outside the manufactures presealed container and that is when my problems started....I stopped taking the zelnorm and I'm starting to feel better. Hopefully that is it. I'm never going to that pharmacy again! There was no need for them to take it out of the pre sealed manufacturers container when it is already in a 30 day supply from Novartis (the drug maker)...I guess they wanted to contaminate it with their wheat talc covered latex gloves. I hate people who have no clue about gluten and touch my stuff! I just hope I get better now.

Hugs

Bridget

Archived