This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

20 ppm equals...?

Victoria1234

Victoria1234 Experienced

So I was wondering, if a gluten-free food is supposed to be 20ppm or less, how much does that equal in a serving of the food? What if you eat several servings of the food, what would happen? I have been known to binge on cookies, and  to have 2 servings of pasta at a time (or more in a day.) Is this 20ppm safe for unlimited servings? Or am I understanding this incorrectly.

PS At first my dh was so sensitive I couldn't have any gluten-free substitute foods without starting to itch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I think GFWD did a article on how much is 20ppm in relations to gram servings. Also you need to consider as 20ppm is the maximum allowed limit...you recall that issue I had with the "gluten free" hemp protein that lab tested at 16ppm? I was having 2-3 servings of that a day and took days to get symptoms, and oddly none of my violent ones showed. I have seen many cases where foods tested 5-10ppm....like most of the controversial cheerios tested or oat based gluten free foods....then again we have no way to test the 1-5ppm range as none show up on test........damn what I would not give for a Star Trek Food replicator where we can dictate the proteins in our foods.....like true gluten free meals.....>.< I still dream of forming a gluten free nation on a island.

Open Original Shared Link

cristiana Veteran

Victoria - this is such a good question.  I say that, because I have been wondering it myself!

Over the summer my 'gastritis' may have been gastritis, but it may have also been my coeliac disease, as my autumn ttg figures were high.   There had been CC and I'd also been taking Floradix instead of Floravital.  But the only other thing that went through my mind was that I had also been eating a lot of gluten free substitutes - biscuits, bread etc.

Because it is winter (bad excuse) I've been eating a lot of these things recently.  If my ttg is still high/endoscopy shows damage at next testing I shall go down the whole food route more seriously.  I was meant to be doing Fasanos this January but my nutritionalist wanted me to wait to see if I needed to.

I think the answer to our question may be in this article, but as I think I have a touch of discalcula these numbers just whirl around in my head and make little sense to me!   

Open Original Shared Link

RMJ Mentor

If you eat 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of food that contains 20ppm (parts per million) of gluten, you would have eaten 20 milligrams (mg) of gluten.  Many,  but not all, people with celiac can tolerate that amount.  When FDA set 20ppm as the limit it was partly because it would be safe for most with celiac, and because at that time most analytical methds for gluten could not accurately measure values less than that.  

Victoria1234 Experienced
On 1/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Star Trek Food replicator

this is a constant topic at my house

Victoria1234 Experienced
On 1/30/2018 at 12:00 PM, cristiana said:

Because it is winter

Good excuse I say.

Victoria1234 Experienced
On 1/30/2018 at 12:26 PM, RMJ said:

If you eat 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of food that contains 20ppm (parts per million) of gluten, you would have eaten 20 milligrams (mg) of gluten.  Many,  but not all, people with celiac can tolerate that amount.  When FDA set 20ppm as the limit it was partly because it would be safe for most with celiac, and because at that time most analytical methds for gluten could not accurately measure values less than that.  

thank you for the detailed reply! I will continue to indulge when necessary. I'll take one for the team.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived