Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
deezer

CD57 / NK Levels in Celiac Question

Rate this topic

Does anyone have any information about CD57 NK cells in Celiac patients?    I am trying to understand if my levels are normal and if there is anything I should do or can do to correct.
I had a low lab test (CD8-CD57+ Lymphs 1.4% (ref 2.0-17.0), 15 Abs (ref 60-360)) and am concerned about my ability to fight disease and cancer with these readings.   A doctor told me that I have Lyme disease because of these results.  However, I have no other symptoms or lab results to support the diagnosis of Lyme disease and I doubt the diagnosis. 

I am aware that in other autoimmune diseases, such as Sjogren's syndrome,  that CD57 levels can be reduced( ref: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3856678/) , but I have not heard anything about this in relation to Celiac disease.  Would be interested in any information you can share.

For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know nothing about this subject and I am not a doctor, but I found this interesting while drinking my morning coffee.  

If you are unsure about your doctor’s diagnosis of Lyme disease, I would suggest getting a second opinion from a clinician who has some Lyme disease expertise.  

What made you go to the doctor when he/she ordered this test?  Is your celiac disease in remission?  When was the last time you had your antibodies checked or had a follow-up endoscopy?  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

20 hours ago, RMJ said:

In this paper they conclude that CD57 cells do not appear to have a role in celiac disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2222270/

That's interesting, but I believe they are not looking at serum CD57 levels - they are looking at levels in intraepithelial lymphocytes (IELs), lamina propria (LP) lymphocytes, and glands.

In the study I linked above, they look at serum CD57 levels and find them to be low in several autoimmune diseases.  Unfortunately, they did not review Celiac disease.

For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16