This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Opinions on symptoms

Alex2011

Alex2011 Newbie

Hi all,

New to all of this and just trying to get opinions on what has been going on with me. I’m going on 25 now and I’ve had very chronic heart burn and reflux all my life. I’ve always taken multiple doses of PPI’s and other acid reducers every day as long as I can remember to keep it in check but I think its finally caught up to me. 

So about a year and a half or so ago I noticed itchy burning bumps on only my pinky then it spread to my ring finger (first sign of DH?). The tiny bumps all over my fingers itched like crazy and eventually faded after a couple weeks or so. Then nothing for a while other than the remaining reflux which I still thought nothing of for approx. another year. The past six months leave me flabbergasted. I had horrible shoulder/back acne which leave pretty unsightly brownspots when and if the acne ever does heal. Normal breakouts on my face. I got these weird sporadic bumps on my arms, some red, some skin tone on my fore arms elbows and upper arms. Now they weren’t normally itchy if I left them alone but the ones I picked at always left a purplish brown mark. There’s a cluster on my left bicep which left that section of skin kind of darker from scratching at them (stupid I know but I couldn’t help it sometimes). When I wear pants my knees get itchy and some bumps raise however it doesn’t really look as severe as DH I see online. I also get flaky skin sometimes and m my skin is very easily agitated ( for example if I scratch a part of my skin or rest my arms on my legs when sitting it turns red very easily) and I also get random redness around random hair follicles but they aren’t infected like follicilitis just red and not painful. Also random spots which appear to be just freckles but they weren’t there before so I figured I’d mention that. 

Mother symptoms not skin related include pretty bad fatigue and brain fog (dizzy spells on bad days), pretty persistent sore throat which I believe to be from all the reflux, tongue can be dry and whiter towards the back (not thrush my doctor did a culture) but certain days it’s normal, history of chronic migraines and headaches all my life, White spots on some teeth and some cavities (keep in mind I do chew tobacco), abdominal pain on bad days, and lastly, I think, I always have dark circles around my eyes and my face can be pale and eyes are red on bad days. I will have normal bowel movements but in random intervals I will get kind of constipated for a few days at a time and then have loose stools. 

Sorry I know this is long but I’m just trying to get some input as to if you guys think this could be celiac or gluten intolerance. I’m hoping actually because the doctor seems stumped too seeing as my blood work was normal besides my platelets literally are just below normal. I do have good days and bad days but I probably consume at least some form of gluten every day, I am a police Officer so fast food and convenient stores are a continuity in my every day life. Lots of bad carbs. I have recently lost some weight but that could also be because I quit lifting and carb loading as much mostly from the fatigue and ADD like symptoms I just put the gym off mostly now days. As far as the rest of my family I’m not sure if I carry the celiac gene but my mother and brother have also had pretty bad reflux all their lives so guess it’s possible. 

Thats all unless I think of other things any insight at all would be greatly appreciate it this seems like a good community with a lot of knowledge thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

get thee to a private doc, not on your insurance, and get tested.  and, yes, quit the tobacco, you knew that was coming yes?

frieze Community Regular

look at it from the public's side, do we want a fuzzy headed cop?

cyclinglady Grand Master
10 hours ago, Alex2011 said:

Hi all,

New to all of this and just trying to get opinions on what has been going on with me. I’m going on 25 now and I’ve had very chronic heart burn and reflux all my life. I’ve always taken multiple doses of PPI’s and other acid reducers every day as long as I can remember to keep it in check but I think its finally caught up to me. 

So about a year and a half or so ago I noticed itchy burning bumps on only my pinky then it spread to my ring finger (first sign of DH?). The tiny bumps all over my fingers itched like crazy and eventually faded after a couple weeks or so. Then nothing for a while other than the remaining reflux which I still thought nothing of for approx. another year. The past six months leave me flabbergasted. I had horrible shoulder/back acne which leave pretty unsightly brownspots when and if the acne ever does heal. Normal breakouts on my face. I got these weird sporadic bumps on my arms, some red, some skin tone on my fore arms elbows and upper arms. Now they weren’t normally itchy if I left them alone but the ones I picked at always left a purplish brown mark. There’s a cluster on my left bicep which left that section of skin kind of darker from scratching at them (stupid I know but I couldn’t help it sometimes). When I wear pants my knees get itchy and some bumps raise however it doesn’t really look as severe as DH I see online. I also get flaky skin sometimes and m my skin is very easily agitated ( for example if I scratch a part of my skin or rest my arms on my legs when sitting it turns red very easily) and I also get random redness around random hair follicles but they aren’t infected like follicilitis just red and not painful. Also random spots which appear to be just freckles but they weren’t there before so I figured I’d mention that. 

Mother symptoms not skin related include pretty bad fatigue and brain fog (dizzy spells on bad days), pretty persistent sore throat which I believe to be from all the reflux, tongue can be dry and whiter towards the back (not thrush my doctor did a culture) but certain days it’s normal, history of chronic migraines and headaches all my life, White spots on some teeth and some cavities (keep in mind I do chew tobacco), abdominal pain on bad days, and lastly, I think, I always have dark circles around my eyes and my face can be pale and eyes are red on bad days. I will have normal bowel movements but in random intervals I will get kind of constipated for a few days at a time and then have loose stools. 

Sorry I know this is long but I’m just trying to get some input as to if you guys think this could be celiac or gluten intolerance. I’m hoping actually because the doctor seems stumped too seeing as my blood work was normal besides my platelets literally are just below normal. I do have good days and bad days but I probably consume at least some form of gluten every day, I am a police Officer so fast food and convenient stores are a continuity in my every day life. Lots of bad carbs. I have recently lost some weight but that could also be because I quit lifting and carb loading as much mostly from the fatigue and ADD like symptoms I just put the gym off mostly now days. As far as the rest of my family I’m not sure if I carry the celiac gene but my mother and brother have also had pretty bad reflux all their lives so guess it’s possible. 

Thats all unless I think of other things any insight at all would be greatly appreciate it this seems like a good community with a lot of knowledge thank you!

These are the tests.

Open Original Shared Link

Insist on the entire panel.  Forget about the gene testing because most than 30% of the population carries the celiac genes, but only a few develop it.  It is used to rule out celiac disease.  

Open Original Shared Link

Archived