This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kirkland Canola Oil Cooking Spray

LeighWM

LeighWM Newbie

I was wondering if anyone else seems to have problems when using Kirkland’s canola oil cooking spray? I’ve been getting sick for unclear reasons a lot and I’m wondering if that could explain it. I tried calling customer service but they couldn’t tell me anything other than what’s on the label.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, LeighWM said:

I was wondering if anyone else seems to have problems when using Kirkland’s canola oil cooking spray? I’ve been getting sick for unclear reasons a lot and I’m wondering if that could explain it. I tried calling customer service but they couldn’t tell me anything other than what’s on the label.

Hmmm.. told you nothing different then on the label... Not very reassuring. :)

I personally switched off of canola as besides gluten I have corn issues too. One never knows if the field the rapeseed is grown in rotates with anything else. Or was the source material rapeseed also shipped or trucked with anything else.  Years back when I worked in a food related industry, I heard most rapeseed the source of Canola is grown in Canada. It is likely grown in isolation they are a big rapeseed producer and researcher.  However since the product would be manufactured into the cans one doesn't know about the processing lines either. If the employee didn't offer any further details about gluten free status, testing of the source material, or final product for gluten status they likely do not have or know the details. While places like Costco tend to have one supplier for their "private label" it is possibly the supplier uses multiple sources and does not therefore claim any gluten free status nor wants the liability. They simply do not want to cater to a particular sector.

Other oil spray based products often do have added ingredients/agents for "flow". I believe a past post on Celiac.com mentions that PAM baking contains wheat, but the others do not. So we may not know who is manufacturing the "private label" product.

Perhaps try removing Canola from your diet and see if your symptoms improve. Remove it for a minimum of 3 days. Zip nada.

I went off spray oil due to my other intolerances it can be tricky for me. 

Around here we use Earth's Balance, Kirkland's signature 100 % Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Kirkland signature Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. We use them for a variety of uses. I even use the coconut and olive oil for my body care too. My husband just recently found some pans by JA Henckels almost a blend of aluminum and granite that claims no oil is needed. He did find them at Costco. 

In closing, I am by no means dissing Costco we shop their bi weekly to stock the pantry and deep freeze with essential celiac staples. I do know however I have found I need to be on guard for shared lines gluten wise. I have found some of the nuts and gluten-free flours at Costco now or in the past are not a gluten-free due to shared line issues and I had to find other options. 

Otherwise perhaps contact them by email and see if you can ask more specific answers related to testing for either source materials, or final product, you can ask if they have any batch or lot results on gluten , and the manufacturing line status. This may potentially trigger your email getting sent from the Customer Service level to a Quality Control Department or Quality Assurance Department member who may have more details. 

Here is a mini wiki info about  QA. Science based, but it gives you the gist of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_quality_assurance_sampling

The I have no information other than then what is on the label sounds like your call was serviced by a customer service agent.

Good luck

Archived