Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
3 3
LeighWM

Kirkland Canola Oil Cooking Spray

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone else seems to have problems when using Kirkland’s canola oil cooking spray? I’ve been getting sick for unclear reasons a lot and I’m wondering if that could explain it. I tried calling customer service but they couldn’t tell me anything other than what’s on the label.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, LeighWM said:

I was wondering if anyone else seems to have problems when using Kirkland’s canola oil cooking spray? I’ve been getting sick for unclear reasons a lot and I’m wondering if that could explain it. I tried calling customer service but they couldn’t tell me anything other than what’s on the label.

Hmmm.. told you nothing different then on the label... Not very reassuring. :)

I personally switched off of canola as besides gluten I have corn issues too. One never knows if the field the rapeseed is grown in rotates with anything else. Or was the source material rapeseed also shipped or trucked with anything else.  Years back when I worked in a food related industry, I heard most rapeseed the source of Canola is grown in Canada. It is likely grown in isolation they are a big rapeseed producer and researcher.  However since the product would be manufactured into the cans one doesn't know about the processing lines either. If the employee didn't offer any further details about gluten free status, testing of the source material, or final product for gluten status they likely do not have or know the details. While places like Costco tend to have one supplier for their "private label" it is possibly the supplier uses multiple sources and does not therefore claim any gluten free status nor wants the liability. They simply do not want to cater to a particular sector.

Other oil spray based products often do have added ingredients/agents for "flow". I believe a past post on Celiac.com mentions that PAM baking contains wheat, but the others do not. So we may not know who is manufacturing the "private label" product.

Perhaps try removing Canola from your diet and see if your symptoms improve. Remove it for a minimum of 3 days. Zip nada.

I went off spray oil due to my other intolerances it can be tricky for me. 

Around here we use Earth's Balance, Kirkland's signature 100 % Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Kirkland signature Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. We use them for a variety of uses. I even use the coconut and olive oil for my body care too. My husband just recently found some pans by JA Henckels almost a blend of aluminum and granite that claims no oil is needed. He did find them at Costco. 

In closing, I am by no means dissing Costco we shop their bi weekly to stock the pantry and deep freeze with essential celiac staples. I do know however I have found I need to be on guard for shared lines gluten wise. I have found some of the nuts and gluten-free flours at Costco now or in the past are not a gluten-free due to shared line issues and I had to find other options. 

Otherwise perhaps contact them by email and see if you can ask more specific answers related to testing for either source materials, or final product, you can ask if they have any batch or lot results on gluten , and the manufacturing line status. This may potentially trigger your email getting sent from the Customer Service level to a Quality Control Department or Quality Assurance Department member who may have more details. 

Here is a mini wiki info about  QA. Science based, but it gives you the gist of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_quality_assurance_sampling

The I have no information other than then what is on the label sounds like your call was serviced by a customer service agent.

Good luck

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• February 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com