This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gestational Diabetes

GFManiac

GFManiac Rookie

Anyone have this? My blood tests were high and I need to go back for more tests next week. I was a little shocked to hear that I might have this considering I don't have any of the risks (I am far from overweight). Not sure if we have a higher risk with Celiac or not. I know we have a higher risk for regular diabetes, but I wasn't sure about Gestational....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Don't know about celiacs having a higher potential for gestational diabetes. I did, however, treat pregnancy and post-partum patients when I was practicing. If you have gestational diabetes during pregnancy, it dramatically increases your chances for converting to Type II diabetes later in life. (sometimes, not to soon after the baby is born). My advice to you is that, if you are diagnosed, follow the guidelines strictly, purchase a glucometer (Walgreens has disposable ones for, like, $25) and monitor your sugars closely. I'm sure you know that you have the possibility of having a very large baby (because they receive all the excess glucose), and it also has some potential dangers for the baby if you do not allow your sugars to remain within normal limits. Enough of the lecture (sorry), and good luck to you . . . . Lynne

cgilsing Enthusiast

I had wondered the same thing. I don't know if we are at higher risk for gestational diabetes. I'm having the glucose test in about 2 weeks. Does anybody know if the drink you have to take for the test is gluten-free?

Guest Robbin

Hi, I had gestational diabetes with my second child. The stuff I drank was orange syrup. Like orange crush without any carbonated water. My thoughts are that if celiac disease is linked to hypoglycemia, type I diabetes, and digestive problems in general, there would maybe be a link. I have other relatives who have had gestational diabetes as well. I was super strict and my son weighed 8 lbs, 5 1/2 oz, 21 inches long. He was the happiest healthiest baby--but I was a sick mess. (Difficult labor--fibromyalgia) That happy sweet baby got me through it, though! I continued to be careful after his birth because I nursed him. It was easier for me to be careful pregnant, since I was so concerned about the baby. He is now showing the signs of celiac, though. (He is 12 almost 13) Take care of yourself as much as possible. Just all-out pamper yourself the rest of the pregnancy. You NEED to. You will need the strength. Big Hug!! Robbin

cgilsing Enthusiast

I just found out the answer to my earlier question and I thought I would share it with you guys. The drink that my doctor's office gives for the glucose test is NOT gluten-free! I have to go in for a blood test instead now, which isn't a big deal, but I just thought all of you pregnant ladies might like to know that. I don't know if there are different kinds and it's just the one my Dr. uses, but it's definatly worth asking about! :)

munchkinette Collaborator

My gran got Type 2 diabetes when she was pregnant with my uncle. (her last kid) I think she was about 34. I'm convinced she was an undiagnosed celiac. She even knew she had wheat problems in her 20s before having kids, but supposedly grew out of it. (but not really)

GFManiac Rookie

My follow-up exam was negative.

I asked them to call to make sure the drink was gluten-free and they said the particular orange drink at my doctor's office WAS okay. I did notice a 'flavoring' ingredient on the label. I did get a canker sore shortly afterwards and have been irritable; I hope they really checked!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

That stuff was nasty, I threw up afterwards. I am glad it is negative. :) You have enough to deal with, right? Take good care! Yay! A new baby!!!!! Robbin

Archived