This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Dry Skin

ROYAL BLUE

ROYAL BLUE Apprentice

My son has been gluten-free for about 6 months now. His abdomin is getting smaller, his Asthma is much better as well . He is still having some problems, for example, his bowel movements somtimes are still runny but no longer fatty and his skin is still very dry.

Does it take longer than 6 months to see improvments in these areas. His dry skin, does that mean something is missing from his diet like vitamins or minerals or does he just need more water? What causes the dry skin in Celiacs in the first place? He does not drink enough plain water but does have concentrated orange juice that I had more water to than recommend.

Tracy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Are you using any kind of lotion on his skin? Some lotions use wheat germ oils, and cause skin reactions. Try using just plain baby oil gel with no fragrance. It is the only thing that helps my skin whenever I have a gluten accident. Also, check his soap. Sometimes wheat is used as binders in the soap.

ROYAL BLUE Apprentice

I have checked all of the soaps and lotions in our house and they are said to be gluten-free. I usually use Lubriderm after he has a bath. I'll have to find some unscented baby oil, that will probably help hold the moisture in.

Thanx Tracy

tarnalberry Community Regular

One thing I've read can help is starting him in a warm bath, then after half of bath time is over, adding a bit of oil (a few drops) - I use almond, it's a good base, but there are others out there, and vitamin e oil might be good on occasion as well to the water. Alternatively, you can rub the oil on him after a bath too. It takes VERY little, but if used reguarly, it does seem to help a lot. (You can even use the oils in your pantry, but I don't want to smell like garlic-olive oil, no matter how much I like garlic! :-) )

kaylee Rookie

A number of people I know swear by evening primrose oil, which is taken as a dietary supplement. I'm not sure about how appropriate it would be for a small child, and if appropriate what dose should be used for dry skin problems. Still, it doesn't hurt to try and find out. I will poke around and see or maybe someone else knows.

Best,

Kaylee

Archived