This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whiskey

Billy G. Ellzey

Billy G. Ellzey Newbie

Is whiskey gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

All distilled alcohol is gluten free regardless of the source.  Be careful of any additives or mixers.  Some celiacs complain of symptom.  So, it is up to you.  Read this article to find brands that are derived from corn, etc:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-whiskeys-gluten-free#why-some-experience-symptoms

Me?   I am a nervous Nelly.  I choose alcohol like vodka sourced from potato vodka.  I guess it is hard for me mentally to get over anything that contains wheat, barley or rye, especially where there are so many other choices.  Sometimes, piece of mind is priceless.  This works for me.   Last endoscopy — healed!  

Now, having worked in a bar decades ago, I do know that even today, busy bars still rely on the old wash and dunk for their glassware. So, when busy, I ask for drink to be put into a to-go cup.  Not classy, but safe.  

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

In college one of my roommates adored Jack Daniels. I did occasionally drink it back then. I don't recall getting symptoms from it. When I no longer lived with her I was off whiskey entirely. Years later and before diagnosis I found  I just can't drink whiskey. Not from a gi issue gluten issue to my knowledge. I just can't do whiskey or gin.  I don't feel I enjoy it and I feel more hangover symptoms in morning than if I drink another alcohol. I just  explain it as  I prefer other spirits.

I was a fan of tequila, vodka, and white wine prior to diagnosis. After my gluten challenge I could not drink alcohol too inflammatory to my body for 2- 2 1/2 years. 

I have tried plain Vodka from potato in past. Last time I had a drink with Vodka it was a brand sourced from grapes  (Bombora). I have tried plain tequila agave sourced no mixers.