Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
2 2
BuddhaBar

Reversing a fatty liver while on medications that makes you fat?

Rate this topic

So today I found out I have mild fatty liver. My liver is not enlarged or anything so it's not a severe case and the doctor said it's reversible with some lifestyle changes.
The problem is that a year ago I hit the wall due to stress. I got diagnosed with burnout syndrome and was prescribed Mirtazapine for my sleeping issues. I've been on it before for depression, but in much higher doses. The medicine has been a life saver. On the other hand Mirtazapine is quite known for making you eat more and therefore making you fat. I'm not obese, but I'm overweight. My BMI is 29 so a little more weight gain and I will be obese. I've been overweight before, but lost weight after celiac diagnosis and because I ate healthier, but Mirtazapine made me gain even more and now I'm at my fattest ever.
Mirtazapine also changes your metabolism so even if you are strict, you will still gain some weight. 

I still need my pills. I've used them for a year and I'm only taking 7.5mg per day. That's half the lowest dose and that's all you need for the sleeping effect. Everything above that is antidepressant. I have a gym membership that I've used quite a lot, but all the gyms are closed now and the weather is really cold, snowy and just bad. The streets are icy, you can barely walk. Running is impossible and I don't know how to ski. I'm not making up excuses. I really enjoyed going to the gym and becoming more active, but the current situation just makes it really difficult.

One positive thing is that my heart, arteries, blood pressure and all that is flawless. It's just the liver that needs some attention. I rarely drink alcohol. Maybe once or twice a year. 

Has anyone else here had a case of fatty liver and reversed it and how? What did you eat and what did you not eat?

If the doctor mention IBS, run. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From the studies we've summarized, if your liver issue is caused by celiac disease and is due to eating gluten, then much of it could be reversible after a long-term gluten-free diet. How long have you been gluten-free? Are you sure your diet is 100% gluten-free? I know that others on this board have corrected liver issues after being gluten-free for a time.

Here are our site's articles on this topic:

https://www.celiac.com/articles.html/celiac-disease-amp-related-diseases-and-disorders/liver-disease-and-celiac-disease/

And here are some specific articles of interest:

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

I was a celiac long before I got my diagnosis. Previous ultrasounds (before going gluten free) showed no signs of a fatty liver. I'm pretty sure this is lifestyle related and I'm not even surprised. Suffering from Burnout syndrome my energy levels were drained for many months. Didn't move around very much. Ate a lot of crappy foods, gained weight due to medications and overeating. We're talking 30 lbs in a year here so it's a lot. Even if I've been overweight for many years I've always been active. Dancing, walking, weight lifting, whatever and I guess that's why my arteries and all that is flawless (sumo wrestlers have a flawless health because of all the workout 😀) But during the last year I've spent most of my time sitting or laying down recovering from Burnout. Pretty sure I'm gluten free because I always get nerve symptoms when glutened and I haven't had those symptoms in over a year since the last glutening. 

I'll try a low fat, low sugar diet for a while. Cutting down on the gluten free stuff too and try to eat only naturally gluten free foods. Lots of fruit. We'll see what I can accomplish with the exercise. I'll have to be creative. Running up and down the stairs maybe? Waiting for the blood work results. As long as my liver is not enlarged or inflamed I'm positive I can turn this around. 

If the doctor mention IBS, run.