Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Is this DH rash?

Rate this topic

Does this look like DH rash? I've ate gluten all my life and recently I've developed this rash only on the left side of my buttocks. It's been a week and the rash is still itchy and painful at the same time, I've never experience this before. My grandfather has celiac disease but everyone else in my family hasn't had any symptoms or is diagnosed with it. I'm still waiting for my blood work results to see if I have celiac disease and I made an appointment with a dermatologist, hopefully she can tell me what this rash is.

skin rash.jpg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Be sure not to go gluten-free until all testing for celiac disease is completed, or you may end up with false negative results.

Since your grandfather has it the likelihood that you also have it would be higher because ~44% of first degree relatives also have it.

Does the rash ever have tiny clear heads on it? Maybe they were scratched off? If it is extremely itchy and has tiny clear heads it could be DH, and a dermatologist could confirm this with a biopsy.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com