Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Can celiac disease cause shakes?

Rate this topic

Hey Everyone! 

Can celiac disease cause shakes in your arms?

I have never experienced this before, but some mornings I wake up & have shakes in my arms. It doesn't happen all the time either. (That along with the rash that I get some times, bleeding gums, nausea, ache/pain in upper abdomen, bloating, gas, weight loss, itchy scalp, fatigue)

I had my endoscopy done & got results back negative. I also was not eating enough gluten. (not everyday). Trying to figure out what to do next...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Did you get a blood panel for celiac disease? This is the first step before a biopsy, and I recommend doing it before going 100% gluten-free. You need to be eating gluten daily for at least two weeks before an endoscopy, and 6 weeks before a blood test.

Nearly all of your symptoms could be directly related to undiagnosed celiac disease, and/or gluten sensitivity.

The shakes in your arms could be caused by vitamin/mineral deficiencies, but be sure to discuss this with your doctor, as it's possible they could be something else. Are you taking supplements? 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

10 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Did you get a blood panel for celiac disease? This is the first step before a biopsy, and I recommend doing it before going 100% gluten-free. You need to be eating gluten daily for at least two weeks before an endoscopy, and 6 weeks before a blood test.

Nearly all of your symptoms could be directly related to undiagnosed celiac disease, and/or gluten sensitivity.

The shakes in your arms could be caused by vitamin/mineral deficiencies, but be sure to discuss this with your doctor, as it's possible they could be something else. Are you taking supplements? 

Hey Thank you Scott! I appreciate your quick response 😊. I am trying so hard to get diagnosed so I know what is going on. I have a doctors appointment this Thursday (I will bring up the blood test since I haven't been consistently eating gluten).

As far as supplements - I have been taking a Multi Vitamin, Vitamin D, & B12. I feel like it has helped my fatigue/no energy feeling a little bit, but maybe it has to do with Iron? 

Something else really strange is the fact that on the last blood work I did the fall I had low Alkaline Phosphatase, which from my research, could suggest malnutrition from Celiac?

You might look into magnesium citrate, but it can cause a laxative effect and takes a while to get used to. Look into Citrical also, as it contains other minerals that celiacs are deficient in. It also contains Vitamin D, and you need to be careful not to take too much D.

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

29 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

You might look into magnesium citrate, but it can cause a laxative effect and takes a while to get used to. Look into Citrical also, as it contains other minerals that celiacs are deficient in. It also contains Vitamin D, and you need to be careful not to take too much D.

I will look into both of those. Thanks so much for your feedback! So having shaky arms can be a symptom of celiac then? (like from a lack of absorption of a certain vitamin/mineral)?

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

14 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

I will take a look. Thank you so much! 

Yes, according to the Mayo Clinic you need to be eating ~1 slice of wheat bread daily for at least 2 weeks before a biopsy, otherwise you could get false-negative results.

Gut times vary greatly from person to person, but the average time is two years, and this depends greatly on how badly your gut was damaged. Being 100% gluten-free is the key for the fastest possible recovery time

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

3 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Yes, according to the Mayo Clinic you need to be eating ~1 slice of wheat bread daily for at least 2 weeks before a biopsy, otherwise you could get false-negative results.

Gut times vary greatly from person to person, but the average time is two years, and this depends greatly on how badly your gut was damaged. Being 100% gluten-free is the key for the fastest possible recovery time

Thanks ~ So if I was not eating enough gluten before the scope (And it did show a false positive results), would my gut still have damage then?

Do you know if doctors will allow for another scope if I did not eat enough prior to this one? 

Not eating enough gluten before a test would not cause false-positive results, it might cause false-negative results, as you need to be eating gluten for the damage to occur. If you are not eating gluten the damage begins to heal. If the doctor did not inform you properly of how the biopsy needs to be done, and this is very basic information, then in my opinion they need to re-do the test.

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com