• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Just got my blood test back today

tTG 6 units

Gliadin IgG 42 units (moderately positive)

Gliadin IgA 6 units

Doc says that IgG isn't a good indicator, but instead the tTG is the best. His conclusion is that I"m fine (don't have celiacs). But I don't feel fine. What should I do now?

Second opinion?

Endoscopy?

Gluten free diet?

Many thanks, I'm completely new here.

Well you can always try the gluten free diet and see how you feel. You don't need a doctors prescription to eat gluten free you know. :) If you decide to try it, make sure you are completely gluten free for a significant time (several months) before you decide it isn't working for you. People don't always feel better immediately on the diet, it can take some time to get better.

Pauliina

tTG 6 units

Gliadin IgA 6 units

Doc says that IgG isn't a good indicator, but instead the tTG is the best. His conclusion is that I"m fine (don't have celiacs). But I don't feel fine. What should I do now?

Second opinion?

Endoscopy?

Gluten free diet?

My current gp thinks that the tests aren't sensitive or reliable enough to put complete faith in them. There are way too many false negatives. Too many variables go into play.. How long were you sick? How much gluten is in your diet to begin with? Were you trying to be gluten-free before the tests? The fact that one part did come up pos would make one wonder. False negatives abount, false positives don't. I am one of the very small camp dx'd by diet challenge alone. Went to my gp with bad D for six weeks. He put me on the diet, two weeks later, no D, ergo, celiac. I talked to my current dr about my celiac, since I never had any tests to see if I had celiac, gluten sensitivity or intolerance or anything besides the diet challenge. He doesn't think I need any tests. I know how my body reacts on and off of gluten and so the dx is fine for him. Pauliina is right, you don't need a dr's permission to do the diet challenge. It's your body; the gluten-free diet isn't harmful like many other diets people go on w/o dr's supervision. If you feel better, that should give you

a good indication. The only test I may do later when I have money is the gene testing, just to get an idea of what I have and what I may have passed on to my daughter.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Annette

tTG 6 units

Gliadin IgA 6 units

Second opinion?

Endoscopy?

Gluten free diet?

Gluten Free Diet, it's the best test.