• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BamBam

I'm Starting A Support Group/help Group

Rate this topic

I have a very small local health food store. I put a sign up sheet in there. I basically said "If you lead a gluten free life please sign here and I will call you so we can visit."

I got three names in the first week, they are all coming to my house Friday evening to discuss celiac/gluten intolerance, one man and two women. It is going to be a very casual thing, to discuss shopping, cooking and various topics of the gluten free life. Everyone will understand that we are not doctors and we will not diagnosis anything, just visit about the gluten free life style.

Has anybody else thought about doing this? I think it would be so helpful to new people. The gentleman that is coming over has no idea what he is doing, so I plan on giving him lots of helpful advice and internet sites, internet stores etc.

Any advice from you guys would be helpful. What are your favorite shopping stores on the internet?

BamBam

I think it's a great idea, it would have been SO helpful when I was first diagnosed!!! I actually have never bought gluten-free stuff off the internet, but have just started looking into it. There is a whole big gluten-free world I never knew existed, simply because I just never felt I needed to check it out. I always thought that living in Denver (a decent sized city) I would always be able to get whatever I needed locally...

Good luck on Friday night and let us know how it goes! :D

I think it sounds like a great idea Bambam! :D Let us know how it goes! As your group progresses maybe you can try having potlucks together or meeting at gluten-free freindly restaurants for fun!

Bam

Once you establish your group, you might want to line up with the Celiac Sprue Assn and become a group under their umbrella. I understand that sometimes hospitals will allow these groups to use their meeting rooms free of charge and if you are a group of the CSA you get free materials and brochures, etc.

You can reach them at 877-CSA-4-CSA toll free