• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

barilla

Is This Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Wow, I am very new here and I just logged on to check out whether distilled vinegar is okay. It seems like I read that apple cider vinegar is okay but not distilled vinegar. I love hot sauce and I noticed one of the ingredients is distilled vinegar. I guess I need to do more research.

Texas Celiac

Barilla,

I did a little research and below is what I found:

Distilled vinegar

In the United States, almost all distilled vinegar comes from corn, not wheat. In the rare instances where wheat is the original source of the distilled alcohol that gets fermented into vinegar, the distillation process will remove all appreciable amounts of gluten (gliaden, peptide chains). A "mother" is added to the distilled alcohol to begin the process of fermentation, but research and interviews with industry experts (including the provider of vinegar to Heinz) indicate that gluten-containing ingredients are not used in this "mother" -- so distilled vinegar is safe. Please note that most vinegar listed on ingredients list is not distilled vinegar (please see the Vinegar entry below).

Vinegar

If food manufactured in the United States has vinegar listed as an ingredient, where just the word "vinegar" appears between commas (for example, "Ingredients: water, vinegar, tomato paste)" the FDA's Compliance Policy Guide for Vinegar requires that the vinegar must be apple cider vinegar. So if you see just "vinegar" listed as an ingredient (not "malt vinegar" or any other modification), the vinegar is apple cider vinegar.

Texas Celiac