This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Celiac And Candidas, Leaky Gut, Ibs, Etc.

Guinevere

Guinevere Newbie

I've been doing alot of online researching. According to the more alternative sources, Celiac can be related to candidas, leaky gut, and IBS. WOW, where does one begin.

In addition to celiac and lactose intolerance, I have psoriasis, and psoriatic arthritis. According to the information I find on these above mentioned diseases, they're all connected through candidas (and parasites according to some websites). Does anyone out there display symptoms of candidas in addition to celiac?

I have been on probiotics and enzymes for some time now and have recently added a parasite cleanse. Minor changes so far with regard to improved digestion, energy and clearer thinking. (Personally, I feel that my digestion is so poor that I don't digest ANYTHING well unless I am taking enzymes and probiotics on a regular basis).

Does anyone out there have any experience with any of this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

Hi there. I am so glad someone is dicussing this. I know I have candida ( I have so many symptoms, and have done the questionarre and home test. Read about the self test for candida on the web. I am currently about to start taking Threelac for candida and also just started liquid oxygen to help alkalize my PH. With threelac you don't have to be on the strict diet, but should limit carbs and avoid sugar. It has had amazing success. I will keep people updated if I see progress. The gluten free diet helped for a while, but I am backsliding and I believe it is the candida. I would recommend doing lots of reading about all the disorders associated with candida. It is common in celiacs. Also candida can cause food intolerances. So I wonder for those who are intolerant but do not have celiac if the candida could have caused it. Let me know what you think.

Guinevere Newbie
Hi there. I am so glad someone is dicussing this. I know I have candida ( I have so many symptoms, and have done the questionarre and home test. Read about the self test for candida on the web. I am currently about to start taking Threelac for candida and also just started liquid oxygen to help alkalize my PH. With threelac you don't have to be on the strict diet, but should limit carbs and avoid sugar. It has had amazing success. I will keep people updated if I see progress. The gluten free diet helped for a while, but I am backsliding and I believe it is the candida. I would recommend doing lots of reading about all the disorders associated with candida. It is common in celiacs. Also candida can cause food intolerances. So I wonder for those who are intolerant but do not have celiac if the candida could have caused it. Let me know what you think.

Thank you for your response. I would like to correspond with you personally about the ThreeLac as I have recently come off of it. Would you let me know how I can do that?

Guest cassidy

I recently had a 3 day stool test done. It came back that I have candida, along with no good bacteria, a bad bacteria and amoebas. I started two antibiotics for the bad bacteria and amoeba and probiotics. Then when the antibiotics are done I'm starting nystatin for the candida. My doctor said I don't have it very bad and that 3-4 months on the drug should work.

I asked her how I got all this. I was on antacids for a long time and she said the lack of acid means that these critters can get through the usual stomach acid barrier which usually kills them. She said that candida and gluten go hand in hand and she thought the candida would be worse if the other stuff wasn't there.

I thought I was feeling great after going gluten-free. I had no idea that I still had all these other problems. I am traveling a lot in the next few months and I work out of my car, and eat a lot of meals on the run, so I really don't know what to eat.

Also, we really want to get pregnant. The most disappointing part of finding all this out is that we have to wait another 4 months to start trying.

My doctor (she is an MD who deals with supplements and alternative medicine) said that she hasn't found a natural alternative that consistently works on candida.

jgoings Newbie

I've been wondering about the celiac/candida connection. I've only been diagnosed (antibody level>1000 and positive biopsy) for a little over 2 months, but I'm seeing NO improvement despite really policing my food, my cosmetics, my body lotion for gluten. Since I was a total carbo-holic prior to diagnosis, I'm not sure if I've got other issues or if the damage is just going to take longe to repair. Any suggestions or clues on what to look for on candida would be appreciated.

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

how do you find out if you have candida? can anyone tell me briefly what the symptoms are? thanks!

rache Apprentice
how do you find out if you have candida? can anyone tell me briefly what the symptoms are? thanks!

i pulled this off of another site for you, so hopefully this is all correct information! i know i seem to pretty much have all these symptoms.

Symptoms:

Extreme lethargy

Diarrhea, chronic gas, bloating, abdominal cramps alleviated by bowel movements, Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Lactose intolerance

Anxiety, Hyperactivity, Attention Deficit Disorder

Allergies and allergy symptoms, chemical sensitivities

Panic attacks

Sinus problems

Eye fatigue

Muscle weakness and bone pain

White tongue and a white coating

Psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff, dry, itchy skin

Rectal itching

Frequent yeast infections in women

High sugar or mold foods drastically increase symptoms.

Avoiding food helps to alleviate symptoms

Inflammation of the hair follicles (candidiasis folliculitis) of various parts of the body (feet, legs, arms)

Frequent urination

Swollen lips/face

Symptoms worse after waking

Facial rash

Hives

Chronic inflammation and irritation of the eye and conjunctivae.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator
In addition to celiac and lactose intolerance, I have psoriasis, and psoriatic arthritis. According to the information I find on these above mentioned diseases, they're all connected through candidas (and parasites according to some websites). Does anyone out there display symptoms of candidas in addition to celiac?

I have psoriasis, had psoriatic arthritis and also had candida. The psoriasis and PA went away after a year of eating an EXTREMELY limited diet and I also took large quantities of probiotics and digestive enzymes. I now "only" avoid gluten, dairy (except small amounts of butter and raw goat cheese), eggs and soy. I take probiotics regularly, but don't usually do the enzymes anymore. My psoriasis has come back, although not nearly as bad as it was, but the arthritis hasn't. I think once you have a problem with candida, it wants to keep coming back, so you have to be pro-active with the probiotics and a low sugar diet. I'm back to low carb (no yummy gluten-free treats for a while) and I'm hoping my psoriasis will clear up - it's not too bad, but I won't be in a swimsuit in the near future.

loraleena Contributor

There is a simple at home saliva test. When you wake up,first thing spit into a glass of water. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. If the saliva stays at the top and water is clear you most likely don't. If there are strands or legs coming down from it, or it sinks to the bottom or makes the water cloudly than candida is likely. There is also a questionarre on many websites. There are also stool tests that can be done.

Long2Play Newbie

I'm reading this thread and have a question. A few have mentioned taking ThreeLac to treat the Candidia Yeast. ThreeLac has Brewer's Yeast in it. That is not a Gluten Free ingredient. How is it being used by Celiacs for treatment if it has a Gluten Bearing ingredient in it? Makes no sense to me. Thanks!

Guinevere Newbie

===============================

go to www.healthtruth.reachlocal.net, click on the candidas button, look around until you find the candidas survey. it is extensive and pretty thorough.

Guinevere Newbie
I'm reading this thread and have a question. A few have mentioned taking ThreeLac to treat the Candidia Yeast. ThreeLac has Brewer's Yeast in it. That is not a Gluten Free ingredient. How is it being used by Celiacs for treatment if it has a Gluten Bearing ingredient in it? Makes no sense to me. Thanks!

okay i'm a little embarassed to even say this but, i did not know brewers yeast had gluten. i know it is a type of fungus, but did NOT know it contained gluten. do you know where i can further information reflecting the brewer's yeast/gluten connection?

Long2Play Newbie

okay i'm a little embarassed to even say this but, i did not know brewers yeast had gluten. i know it is a type of fungus, but did NOT know it contained gluten. do you know where i can further information reflecting the brewer's yeast/gluten connection?

Brewer's Yeast is on the forbidden list on this website (Celiac.com). I do not know how the yeast is made. I am just going by the information provided by this site. I'm sorry, I did not mean to cause you embarrassment. Thanks for your reply.

:)

shayesmom Rookie
My doctor (she is an MD who deals with supplements and alternative medicine) said that she hasn't found a natural alternative that consistently works on candida.

You may want to mention a product called Candex to your doctor. It works very well (given time) and can be taken in conjunction with probiotics to "speed things up". We were told about this one from a doctor who worked in nutrition and cancer therapy in China for about 20 years. When we mentioned this supplement to our homeopath, he had never heard of it. He has researched into it more and is now carrying it as a supplement with success.

I believe that it is gluten-free but I will have to double check.

Guinevere Newbie
You may want to mention a product called Candex to your doctor. It works very well (given time) and can be taken in conjunction with probiotics to "speed things up". We were told about this one from a doctor who worked in nutrition and cancer therapy in China for about 20 years. When we mentioned this supplement to our homeopath, he had never heard of it. He has researched into it more and is now carrying it as a supplement with success.

I believe that it is gluten-free but I will have to double check.

===================================================

Have been on the Candex for about 2 weeks. Don't really notice anything yet. thank you for passing it on though.

Long2Play Newbie

Candex has Vegetarian Malt Diastase listed in it's ingredients. Malt is usually from Barley. That would not be Gluten Free either......

I'm interested in treating Candida and everything being discussed here has me really concerned.

Peace

loraleena Contributor

Everything that I have read on Threelac said it was gluten free. The support guy I just ordered from said it was gluten free as well. I don't know about brewer's yeast, but I will check into it.

carochip Newbie
I've been doing alot of online researching. According to the more alternative sources, Celiac can be related to candidas, leaky gut, and IBS. WOW, where does one begin.

I have been on probiotics and enzymes for some time now and have recently added a parasite cleanse. Minor changes so far with regard to improved digestion, energy and clearer thinking. (Personally, I feel that my digestion is so poor that I don't digest ANYTHING well unless I am taking enzymes and probiotics on a regular basis).

Does anyone out there have any experience with any of this?

i JUST FOUND OUT THAT i HAVE celiac disease AND JUST NOW REALISING THAT MY PSORIASIS, IBS AND PAIN IN THE LOWER RIGHT SIDE OF MY GUT IS ALL CONNECTED! I HAVE BEEN gluten-free FOR A WEEK NOW AND HOPE THAT ALL OF THIS WILL GO AWAY. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD HELP IT ALONG WITH TAKING OTHER THINGS LIKE YOU HAVE? OR IS NOT HELPING? WHAT PARASITE CLEANSE DID YOU TAKE AND HOW LONG?

loraleena Contributor

Update. I looked into Threelac and it is gluten free. I also read up on Brewer's yeast. It can be made from gluten or sugars. There are Brewer's yeasts that are gluten free.

I have checked up on Threelac and it is gluten free. I also read about the Brewer's yeast. It is not always made from gluten.

oaktownboy Newbie

I've been diagnosed with all of them; Celiac coming last.

Guinevere Newbie
i JUST FOUND OUT THAT i HAVE celiac disease AND JUST NOW REALISING THAT MY PSORIASIS, IBS AND PAIN IN THE LOWER RIGHT SIDE OF MY GUT IS ALL CONNECTED! I HAVE BEEN gluten-free FOR A WEEK NOW AND HOPE THAT ALL OF THIS WILL GO AWAY. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD HELP IT ALONG WITH TAKING OTHER THINGS LIKE YOU HAVE? OR IS NOT HELPING? WHAT PARASITE CLEANSE DID YOU TAKE AND HOW LONG?

======================================

if you're just starting, i would not do a whole lot. i would definitely add vitamins, especially all the B, with alot of B6 & 12, i would add probiotics and enzymes - they'll help heal up your gut much faster. then i would just wait and see...

Update. I looked into Threelac and it is gluten free. I also read up on Brewer's yeast. It can be made from gluten or sugars. There are Brewer's yeasts that are gluten free.

I have checked up on Threelac and it is gluten free. I also read about the Brewer's yeast. It is not always made from gluten.

====================================

glad to hear that the brewer's yeast is okay in the threelac. are you ready to try it? you'll have to keep me posted, I'm curious to know how it works for you.

i'm still in the healing my gut, building up the healthy bacteria phase, threelac considerations are a long way off for me yet.

let me know...

I've been diagnosed with all of them; Celiac coming last.

=====================================

do you mind if i ask what you have; celiac, IBS, psoriasis, arthritis?... i am most curious to be in touch with people who have similar symptoms. also, how long you've had these, and how long you've been gluten-free? and are you treating candidas?

oaktownboy Newbie
do you mind if i ask what you have; celiac, IBS, psoriasis, arthritis?... i am most curious to be in touch with people who have similar symptoms. also, how long you've had these, and how long you've been gluten-free? and are you treating candidas?

first they found candida..had me on nystatin and diflucan for several months, which did nothing..Then they diagnosed me with IBS and gave me Miralax and Zelnorm, which have both been uneffective so far. Finally, about 1-2 weeks ago, they told me I probably have Celiac's Disease based on all my syptoms. I have been gluten free for 1 week now...and the hell continues

Archived