• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Fionnghuala

Simple Organic Pudding & Pie Filling (issue?)

Rate this topic

Hi! I'm new to this board and was diagnosed with Celiac about six months ago. My life has completely changed about my new diet, but occasional mistakes happen. I wanted to ask about one in particular.

One of the biggest differences I've noticed on a gluten-free diet is the loss of some very troubling seizures. I can't actually remember their specific name...something long...I'd have an almost out-of-body experience. My whole body would tingle, I'd forget my name, and who I was, and wouldn't recongnize any but the very closest of family members. The whole experience would last for approx. 30 seconds, but I'd be so tired I would fall asleep for hours afterwards, and my personality would be changed for about a half day. Incredibly and wonderfully, they completely disappeared.

However, I tried one new food about two days ago, and I suffered three very bad seizures. After drinking eight or nine glasses of water and sleeping off and on for two days, I'm recovered...but shaken.

The food I tried was Simple Organics Butterscotch Pudding that I purchased from Vitamin Cottage. I had tried the Vanilla flavor before with no problem, but after eating the Butterscotch, was thrown right back into my pre gluten-free diet symptoms. One of the ingredients is caramel color, which I have tried to avoid, because I have had averse symptoms drinking a Caramel Macchiato (I'm a Starbucks Barista)

I tried looking up the ingredients online, but couldn't find the specific flavor. Any thoughts on the caramel color, this brand, or has anyone else experienced anything adverse like this?

Thanks,

Fionnghuala

From what I understand, caramel color may or may not contain gluten. It's best to contact the manufacturer of the item ahead of time.

If you don't want to give up butterscotch pudding, try the Dr. Oetker cooked pudding and pie filling, the Butterscotch is free of gluten, milk, eggs, and all nuts!!!!

and it is wonderful....makes great pudding pops too!!!