• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Simon

Some General Advice Having Started Diet

Rate this topic

Hi, having recently been diagnosed and started a 100% gluten free diet how long did it take people to start seeing a reduction in the morning and evening tiredness? The stomach symptoms appear to go relatively quickly. Does anybody else suffer from itching of the skin? Thanks for taking the time to look at the post

Hi, having recently been diagnosed and started a 100% gluten free diet how long did it take people to start seeing a reduction in the morning and evening tiredness? The stomach symptoms appear to go relatively quickly. Does anybody else suffer from itching of the skin? Thanks for taking the time to look at the post

Hi Simon--welcome to the board!

Everyone's reactions vary, but I began to feel less fatigue after about 4 months gluten-free. But, after almost a year, I still get tired easily, and of course more so when glutened or when I eat something I'm intolerant to. I also get the skin itching--no rash--just itchy skin. In addition to being gluten-free, I switched my laundry detergent--I use Purex Free & Clear. I make sure my shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion are gluten-free and SLS free as well. This has helped me. Best of luck with everything! :)

Guest nini

I probably didn't start to feel better from the fatigue for at least a year. I still get fatigued really easily and get itchy skin... I'm probably also intolerant to dairy, but I'm not willing to give that up yet! LOL!

On average, the intestinal healing takes about two years, but symptoms vary, depending on how gluten-free you are and how often you are accidentally exposed to gluten. Even after 3 years I still get accidental glutenings and I am very careful... just do the best you can.

healing times vary greatly. I was feeling a fair amount better within a few weeks, myself, but there's nothing for it but to see how quickly (or slowly) you feel better, unfortunately.