This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are There Any Other Celiacs That Are Overweight?

Jules

Jules Rookie

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have been reading many postings about folks suffering with diarrhea and having difficulty gaining weight. My case is actually the opposite. I have spent many years trying to maintain my weight. I have had terrible constipation that I've been hospitalized for, this was usually followed by weeks of diarrhea. :( I have recently been diagnosed with Celiacs and am slowly trying to learn about the disease and eat gluten free. :blink: Are there any of you out there who are overweight and constipated instead of underweight w/diarrhea?

I am very concerned about how to change my lifestyle to fit in gluten-free eating. It seems like a full time job. I live in a rural area, commute 1 hour each way to work at a fast paced law firm, eat lunch on the run, go to graduate school at night, am a newlywed of 6 months and am 3 months pregnant. :blink: How do you all find the time to shop for these special foods online or at health food stores, make bread from scratch, eat gluten-free lunches, dinners, etc.??? Obviously I want to be completely gluten-free as soon as possibly to help grown a healthy, happy baby in my belly. Help....

Jules

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Jules,

There are probably about the same number of people who are overweight Celiacs as there are underweight Celiacs! :huh:

I am one of them. I have has weight problems up and down all my life until I had kids and them it was just up. I am now about 60lbs overweight and a newly diagnosed Celiac. I have spent the last two years educating myself on celiac disease and the gluten free lifestlye. And I can tell you this, it is not easy, but it is worth it. First off, your symptoms are not uncommon. I also have constipation and diarrhea, some only have one or the other. It will be better for you to start the diet, but you need to educate yourself at the same time. I feel for you with your busy schedule, but you will need to find the time to get gluten-free foods and prepare them, since chances are that if you eat out you will not get enough choices to eat, and most likely they will be contaminated with gluten. There are lots of food lists available, and the most important thing is to print out as many lists as you can and take them with you. You do not need a health food store, but it would open up many food choices to you, or you could shop online, which might open up more choices to you given your busy schedule and the internet being 24 hours a day!

It is also important that you do this for your baby. If you are not getting enough food, then you baby won't either. It can be extremely overwhelming in the beginning and you have quite a bit going on right now. Have you considered cutting back your schedule? I know it would be a sacrifice, but your health (and your baby's) should come first. It is hard enough being a newlywed, and pregnant, but a full time job and graduate school is a lot to ask of your body right now. Will you be taking some time off when you have the baby?

You don't have to bake your own bread, and the best gluten-free meals are very simple, especially in the beginning. Check out the posts on lunch food ideas and maybe go back to the old board and print out some of the recipes there for meal ideas. We are starting to get a few more recipes here, but it will take a while to get enough for you. There are a lot of good gluten-free cookbooks available, and there are a few bad ones. Basically you should just try to modify the diet you normally eat, cutting all gluten containing foods and adding a few more non-gluten foods to fill in the calories. You don't want to short yourself right now.

Welcome to the site.

God bless,

Mariann

JsBaby-G Newbie

Jules,

Don't worry eating gluten free is not as hard as you might think. Yes I know it seems that way but it will get easier. I am slightly overweight and go through terrible constipation so don't worry your not alone. As for fitting gluten free eating into your already busy lifestyle, it's easier to just stick with items that are naturally found in nature. Fruits, veggies, meat, nuts. Watch out for dairy as some celiacs are sensitive to it at first. These are the easiest and safest way to avoid gluten and that is very important for the growth of the little one in your belly!!

Good luck!

bigapplekathleen Contributor

Yes, it can be overwhelming at first to learn how to ship and prepare gluten-free meals. A couple of things that make it easier:

find a nutritionist who knows about Celiac Disease. This will be the best money you have ever spent (and maybe it's free, if covered by your health insurance). He/she can help you plan out meal ideas, appropriate foods, etc. I am not sure where you live, but I can recommend someone in NY City if you are close to here.

find a support group in your area. there are many such groups across the country. Meeting with other celiac disease patients can be very helpful.

I, too, have been slightly overweight for most of my adult life (10-20 pounds). After going on the gluten-free diet, i dropped about 16 pounds. I have gained back 4 of those now, but am hoping to lose another 10-15 pounds total. I am part of an EMAIL weight-loss group for celiacs. If you want more info, let me know.

I know what it's like to be overwhelmed by all the things in your life. Just remember to make and take the time for yourself first - especially while you are pregnant. This is very important! Even if it means ordering groceries online and having them delivered or hiring someone to do your housecelaning, DO IT ! (Our local super store delivers for a $6.00 charge. It's a pretty good deal, considering the amount of time I would normally spend in the store. I haven't used their service yet, but am hitting that point now. I did hire housekeepers, however, and that has been the SMARTEST thing I have ever done!)

all the best,

Kathleen

Guest shar4

Kathleen,

Could you please give me the email weight loss info? I would like to get back to my pre-diagnosis weight.

Thanks oodles.

Sharon :rolleyes:

Kathy Newbie
:wub: Jules.. no you are not alone.. I lost weight before I was finally diagnosed which was back in 1996 but had no trouble putting it back on.. My doctor thought I was a cancer patient for awhile because I became so weak & hardly walk.. then I was finally diagnosed and starting eating the correct foods and fight the weight battle every day.. So I guess you can go from one extreme to another from what I have learned in life.. I am on WW plan right now and seems to be helping be the best .. As far as shopping for good healthy food for the gluten free diet, the Gluten Free Mall has been a god send for me... I have a bread maker so I can order the mixes that I want from them and then just pop it into the bread machine and it is ready in no time... I tried working with all of the various flours etc at first, but cooking primarly for myself just doesn't fit into purchasing all of the products necessary.. In time you will find products and there are getting more and more every day that we can eat in the super markets.. just have to read the labels carefully.. I used to read for fat and calorie counts.. now I just check for ingredients.. It is slow at first but get's easier in time.. Good luck with your busy schedule.. Just be patient with yourself and you will feel so much better... Maybe we can help each other lose some of the pounds also...Hugs to you... :D
wclemens Newbie

Jules, I fit the description you mentioned. I struggled with weight most of my life, even after going gluten, milk, dairy, egg white and yeast free. 8 years ago I discovered The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller. I am so blessed. I now stay at 107 and am almost five feet tall. I am 59 years old and can really identify with your busy schedule. Their diet is protein and low carb vegetables any time, with one hour each day eating anything you can tolerate eating or drinking. I like sweet desserts, so I get to have them each and every day.

Here is the good part--when you get all the gluten and other offending foods out of your diet, you will begin to notice a newfound sense of well-being, along with increased energy and stamina. Depression and foggy thinking lift, and your body will begin to be able to tell you when you accidentally ingest forbidden foods. An elimination diet is good for learning what bothers you. You go to a simple meat and vegetable diet, then add one food back at a time and see what reaction you have.

What I am concerned about is your new baby. My infant grandson slept 11 hours the night after being born, but as soon as he started formula he began showing allergic symptoms (diarrhea, stomach cramping, extreme diaper rash, spitting up his formula, irritability, etc.). It was dreadful. We changed him to soy, then I ordered Enterolab testing, and learned that he is gluten sensitive and allergic to milk and dairy. He is on the same diet we are!

I hope and pray that you will soon be feeling so much better. God bless! Welda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lily Rookie

Hi Jules,

I have had constipation problems all my life and struggled with being overweight in my adult life. I am about 100 lbs overweight right now :( and just recently started getting the diarrhea. Apparently I've had this all my life, but had to turn 35 for them to figure it out. Actually, my nutritionist figured it out first and pointed me in the right direction to the dr. I had my 1st colonoscopy at age 12 because they just couldn't figure out why I was so constipated all the time. My thyroid doesn't work right because of the years of abuse of eating the gluten. I'm hoping once I regulate the diet and all my other bodily functions are operating properly that I"ll lose the weight and finally feel healthy for the 1st time in my life. My nutritionist says I should be noticing a markable improvement in 3-6 months, but that it can take up to 3 years to feel normal.

This forum is great isn't it? I felt really abnormal being overweight, it was also a factor that the doctor didn't want to admit I'm a Celiac.

Blessings!

Lily

• 2 weeks later...
satnip Newbie

gee its good to hear I'm not the ONLY overweight celiac! I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with DH. It took awhile to find some of the trickier sources of gluten. I think my weight is mostly due to my personal support of the Ben & Jerry Corp. (I'm not lactose intolerant....yet)

Just very recently I have been battling constipation. That has NEVER been a problem before. I had some dental work done and was given some Vicodin for pain. I only took two doses, but BOY did that bind things up. And I have been having problems since. I thought it was just another insult from my aging body (53) Who knows?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
mom of 5 celiac Rookie

Hey guys you are not alone...why down here in Atlanta there is me and I am 150 lbs over weight. I am also diabetic and have been trying to lose weight on weight watchers for 2 yrs now. I lose 25 then start to gain. It is awful. I just found out I was a celiac 2 months ago so I had to add that to my plate. I am so confused on what to do and how to do it. My entire family it celiac also. 3 kids( 18,19 & 21yrs)

and my husband. They were dx 2- 3 yrs ago. This really sucks. I guess I am feeling sorry for myself. :( Karen

bigapplekathleen Contributor

HI everyone,

Just a quick note to tell you I have dropped 7 pounds in the past 15 days. I gave up gluten-free processed foods (bread, grains, beans) and have been eating a PALEO (caveman) diet. I feel so much better and I quit reacting to whatever was in the processed foods. I am not itching anymore and my stomach has calmed down.

I also bought a diet and exercise tracking program for my PALM, which is absolutely fabulous ! I use it to write down all foods and drinks every day. It keeps track of calories, carbs, protein, fat, saturated fat, and fiber. I also enter exercise and activities to track calories burned.

all the best - have a good week everyone -

kathleen

Guest jhmom

CONGRADUALTIONS!!! That is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Lily Rookie

Per my nutritionists advice, I am only eating what I can cook.........no processed stuff and I'm starting to lose weight also. I'm not better yet, but working on it.

Good luck all!

Lily

Guest shar4

Hi all!! Glad to hear that some of you are having success at losing some of the pounds. I, on the other hand am not. :( I feel like I could eat everything including the furniture. Even though I feel good and am exercising almost every day, cannot seem to control my appetite. I have been trying to stop taking anti depressants, because I think that is compounding the problem. The weight gain alone is so depressing I could scream.

Not to drag the rest of you down, I know how great it feels to lose weight and congrats to you all.

Thanks for listening.

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...
Lagomom Newbie

I, too, am delighted to read that I am also not alone in this Celiac/obesity condition. I am in that 100lb over category. I was diagnosed with celiac disease Oct. of 2002. My rhuematologist keeps telling me to wait. That it takes about 2-3 years for the body to heal enough to begin ridding itself of the fat. I sure hope she is right. She also advocates fewer simple carbs with more complex carbs and protein. I just want at least to get down enough so I can fit into a regular sized wheelchair when the time comes.

oreyes Newbie

Bigapplekathleen,

Did you post the "e-mail weight loss group" site somewhere? I've looked through several sites but have not been able to find it. If so, would you mind posting it again. Thanks so much..................Judy

• 2 weeks later...
webgyrl Newbie

Another 100 pounder here! lol. I developed celiac disease when I was pregnant with my son 12 years ago. Gained 90 pounds in the last 90 days...whew. And that was with hardly eating anything!

I never suffered from constipation...it was only ever diarrhea. From what I gather, I was severly malnourished at the time of my diagnosis and my body reacted by shutting metabolism completely down. It's very surreal when you're so overweight to hear that you're suffering from malnutrition.

I've been gluten-free for 13 months now and have only lost 10 pounds, but that's 10 pounds I was unable to lose before. I'm hopeful after reading the post by the gal who said she was told it would take 2-3 years. Whee! :-)

mdruchunas Newbie

We are all in a very strange predicament... I was dxed with celiac disease in March of 2003 and was a normal weight (145 lb, 5'7") and eating anything I wanted, but in the year that I've been gluten-free, I have gained almost 50 lbs! I started the Suzanne Somers diet (really simple... just cut out all sugar and simple carbs--easy for people who are already used to going without bread and cake!) and have lost 7 pounds in less than 2 weeks! I am so excited to be moving in the right direction again! We go from basically a starvation state to all of a sudden being able to absorb everything we put into our bodies. Of COURSE our metabolisms are slow!

"You can think of your metabolism as a bonfire and the food you eat as logs you put on the fire. If the bonfire is burning big and hot, it has no trouble consuming the additional wood that you put on it. You put a giant log on it and it burns it in minutes. Conversely, if the bonfire begins to die out and burn more slowly, it doesn't burn the new wood you put on it so quickly. If you put a big log on the smoldering embers of a fire, the log is liable to just sit there. It may take all night for it to slowly burn away. Again, your metabolism works the same way. If your metabolism is very slow it can't burn all the calories you feed it. The food you eat just sits there and eventually gets stored as fat." -Michael Thurmond

plantime Contributor

Thank God for being poor! My family was poor when I was a child, so we ate what grew in the vegetable garden, and whatever Grandpa slaughtered, with very little money for bread, pasta, and the like. That is probably why I did not have any celiac disease symptoms until I was an adult, married to a man that loves his bread and pasta! I very quickly gained 100 pounds, and was always constipated. Since I started gluten-free on Valentine's Day, I have lost at least 1 pound a week. I am currently using WW for accountability, but seriously considering not renewing in June. There is very little tolerance for Celiacs and diabetics on the boards there. I desperately need to be told that what I am going through is normal, and I am not alone!

gf4life Enthusiast
I desperately need to be told that what I am going through is normal, and I am not alone!

Dessa, You are NOT alone! :D We are all in the same boat. We may not all have the exact same symptoms or reactions, but with the common ground of gluten intolerance you will never feel alone on this message board!

Michael, I think I should look into this low sugar diet. I lost 5 lbs the first week gluten-free, but after that nothing is coming off. Of course I am still eating gluten-free breads and cakes, so maybe that is my problem. I just worry that it will be the same as the other low carb diets I've tried. I lose the weight quickly when I cut carbs, but gain it right back again if I eat even a few carbs over the limit. Very frustrating. I need to lose about 50 lbs. and I would like to get it off soon. I think I will have more energy if I do. I'm only 5'2" and I just feel so heavy and tired all the time.

God bless,

Mariann :)

plantime Contributor

OK, UPS brought my gluten-free pasta today. It was so good, I ate two big servings! How do I keep from overeating on the foods that I love, and now can eat? I just do not seem to have enough self-control! I am glad to have found these foods, though! How do you measure, and keep track of the calories? :huh:

gf4life Enthusiast

Dessa,

I think it is common to go a little overboard when we first get our new gluten-free foods that we have been missing so much. I know I did, but now after 2 months I have relaxed a little bit and gotten used to eating gluten-free. I have to pace myself and have printed up little meal lists, so I can try to not over eat. If I stick to the serving amounts and limit my special treats to a couple of times a week (instead of a couple a day! :rolleyes: ) then I should be okay. I am trying to lose weight not gain more! :) So now I am also trying very hard to stick to the Eat Right 4 Your Type blood type diet. I feel much better when I don't eat the foods that are on my "avoid" list. And limit the high calorie carbohydrate grains. I just hope the weight comes off, since it is not so much of a calorie counting diet, but a healthy eating lifestyle. Fits well into the gluten-free lifestyle, too.

God bless,

Mariann

plantime Contributor

I have never heard of the Eat Right For YOur Blood Type Diet. Where can I learn more about this? I am game for anything that will make me feel better, especially if all I have to do is change my eating! B)

oreyes Newbie

Has anyone found the "E-MAIL Weight Loss Grooup" information? I click on each day hoping someone will put it on this site but I've still not found it. Any help would be appreciated.........

Thanks................Judy :rolleyes:

gf4life Enthusiast

Dessa,

Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo is the author of the books "Eat Right 4 Your Type", "Live Right 4 Your Type", "Cook Right 4 Your Type" and Eat Right 4 Your Type: Complete Blood Type Encyclopedia Reference book". I would start with the first book. Most public libraries have them (or can request them for you from other branches) and you don't really need to buy the cookbook or the encyclopedia. The Eat Right 4 Your Type book goes over eat blood type and gives food lists based on blood type. The Live Right 4 Your Type book gets more into detail and talks about the complete blood type lifestyle. It gets more defined in how you eat and exercises for each blood type and diseases common to each blood type and how to decrease your risk factors, etc. Both are excellent and I really do find that most of the foods on my avoid lists are the ones that bother me the most. You can also find out information online at Open Original Shared Link . They also sell a bunch of products specifically for your blood type, but I find they are overpriced and not really needed.

God bless,

Mariann

Archived