• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

momandgirls

For Those In Nyc

Rate this topic

Hi - Just called Risotteria and they said they can't really accommodate a gluten and dairy free meal. So, I'm trying to find another alternative. I looked on www.glutenfreerestaurants.com (thank you for the link!) and found Sambuca (for dinner) and Peter's Gourmet Diner (for breakfast). Has anyone been to either of these restaurants? I'm open to other suggestions, too. In our group, we'll have one that's gluten and dairy free, another that's dairy free and a vegetarian. Thanks!

Hi - Just called Risotteria and they said they can't really accommodate a gluten and dairy free meal. So, I'm trying to find another alternative. I looked on www.glutenfreerestaurants.com (thank you for the link!) and found Sambuca (for dinner) and Peter's Gourmet Diner (for breakfast). Has anyone been to either of these restaurants? I'm open to other suggestions, too. In our group, we'll have one that's gluten and dairy free, another that's dairy free and a vegetarian. Thanks!

I've eaten at Sambuca's several times, and have never been disappointed. The only drawback (and this is nitpicky) is that they have only one type of gluten-free pasta--elbows. I believe that this is so that they never confuse the gluten-free pasta with the wheat pasta. They will bring gluten-free bread to any table at which one or more people are ordering gluten-free food. The servings are huge--a family serving will serve at least 3 people, and even a single serving is enough for my wife and me to share, when we are also sharing a salad. The waiters have always indicated whether their specials of the day are gluten-free, or can be made gluten-free. Sambuca's is a stress-free place for me to have dinner with my wife before going to a performance at Lincoln Center, which is just a few blocks south. You can get to it easily by subway by getting off at the 72nd Street Station (I believe it's the #1 line) and walking east towards Central Park, just a couple of blocks.

Ken

If you want something very casual there is Slice, a pizza place that has gluten-free pizza crust and casein-free soy cheese.

The website is www.sliceperfect.com

I have never been there...but have heard good things about it. I have heard though that the gluten-free pizza's are expensive and take an extra 40 minutes to make...so that you should call ahead and place the order for the gluten-free pizza before you get there to eat...

I don't have a problem with dairy so I can't promise these suggestions are good, but another Italian place that I love is Lumi. I've reccomend this countless times on this board.

I actually have yet to try Peter's or Blooms but hopefully they're great.

I eat in a lot of restaurants that don't necessarily have gluten-free menus. I think in NY the wait staff is used to all sorts of funky requests so to be honest I've yet to have a waiter/waitress even flinch with my laundry list of restrictions and requests when I order. I've even had several ask me mid-ordering if I have a gluten intolerance.

I don't know if it's like that a lot of places but I often feel very lucky I live in NY.