This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Optimal Diet For Celiacs

Phila

oceangirl Collaborator
I like to say life change instead of diet....For me diet has always had a failure note attached....So I now say I am going to make a life change....And I think having a strong sence of spirituality is so important in living healthy as well.

Wow! When I have a minute and look at the Internet it blows me away how we all have time for this. I hope we make the same time for people we can reach out and physically touch. This is a nice thread. But, I have to go to the dark side for a bit, as is my nature. I'm getting quite tired of the self-absorbed aspect of this bloody condition. (In myself, that is) Maybe it's just our lot in the human condition. Maybe we just need to let it all go and just bloody EAT. I am so tired (after 35 years!) of desperately trying to FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL TO EAT THAT WON'T BOTHER ME!!! There are improvements with no gluten, but I cannot go for more than half a day without being excruciatingly aware of my digestive tract and anxiously awaiting relief from pain and discomfort. In fact, I would go as far as to say, if it weren't for my two kids and lover of many lifetimes, I have contemplated often late at night the notion that with death will come peace. Sorry to be gloomy- I'm brutally honest and I don't generally "make nice". No pity or sympathy necessary- I think for me I'm getting to the point of just shutting up and biting the digestive bullet- others have it worse for sure. They are blind, or have no legs (maybe blown off in some unjust war, perhaps...), or they're paralyzed or they're, far worse, crippled by untold psychic pain that no amount of therapy or drugs will touch. When I think of that, which is every day I look around me, I think how the human condition is to live on the pain plane until we move to something else. Perhaps it is the only way we grow. But, I guess when we're all feeling resilient and in fighting spirit, we go to this site and fight the good fight for our personal health. For now, I will go reread Man's Search For Meaning by Victor(sp?) Frankl to relieve my angst and lift me away from myself. Good luck to you all.

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
myserenityprayer Explorer
I don't drink grain alcohols. I'm on top of the candida issues ... I don't worry about two or three drinks per week. Thanks for your concern!

i enjoy having a few drinks a week. just curious, what type of alcohol do you usually drink? I normally stick to wine and occasionally may have some vodka and diet sprite if im dying for carbination.

myserenityprayer Explorer
Hi there ,

What a good idea for a thread. I thought I would add my 2 cents :D

I am hypoglyemic and I am just learning when to eat what. Eating meats 3 times a day is helping. Especially in the morning. I can function so much better with a little BUFFALO in my tummy :D

I eat a wide variety of "clean" foods including carbs, fruits, veggies, proteins and fats.

I eat whole grains like millet, buckwheat, organic brown rice, quinoa and amaranth. I limit processed grains to once every 3 days or so because they upset my glucose levels.

I normally eat 3 fruits a day. At this point I am eating apples, berries and watermelon.

I eat most veggies. Raw if possible, less cooked for some, but potatoes have got to be done. :) Chard, kale and spinach are a good replacement for lettuce and have more nutrients.

For protein I eat nuts, meats, beans (mostly sprouted mung), and the occasional egg. I eat hormone free meats. BTW, I had to add meats because my iron was too low. I challenged my doctors and told them that my vegan diet was good enough, but they were right. I was wrong. :huh:

I love raw nuts. All of them. I had problems with walnuts and brazil nuts at first, but that

has subsided. I eat about 4 oz everyday. They are very nutritous and easy to carry with you. Your local health food store is a good source. The prepacked ones are not fresh. BLEH !!!

I can't handle oils / fats in supplement form, but I can eat them. Supplements actually put welts on my face. :blink::o I add flax, borage, EVOO and grapeseed oil to my grains, so that is probably why they haven't bothered me. These are rich in omegas and help with the constipation. :D

Dairy is OUT, including yogurt or raw goat cheese. I tried and I just can't digest them. But I can drink plain Kefir, which is high in probiotics. :D

I grow my own sprouts. They are convenient and full of nutrients. Brocolli, alfafa and mung mostly.

I also added sulfite free organic dried fruits. Another easy food to carry. And the figs are full of nutrients.

I drink water purified by reverse osmosis. Target has their own brand which is pretty good. Distilled is always a good choice but those gallon jugs are hard to carry ... :lol:

At some point I drank aloe vera juice and I didn't notice any effect, but you never know. My doctor had me eating papaya, mango and pineapple when I first went on this diet. They are rich with digestive enzymes and really helped get over the hump.

I am in the process of adding tomatoes, pepper, garlic and other foods back into my diet. My stomach has healed quite a bit evidently.

I can eat hot hot peppers now too ... I hope this wasn't too long.... Marcia :DB)

i LOVE sprouts. how do you grow yours? i would love to learn!! (p.s I have hypoglycemia as well, and also insulin resistance. i can understand the need to eat protein a gazillion times a day. eating meat is very difficult for me because i really can't stand it. i like fish much better.)

Nancym Enthusiast

Let me tell you, this is something I'm striving for too. I personally think the diet we're evolved to thrive on is very different from the one most people are eating today. Click the link on "The Paleo Diet" to get an idea. But basically my diet is concentrated around meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables, nuts and fruits. A few deviations from that, but that is pretty much it. I'm trying to avoid legumes, dairy, all the modern excessively starchy and sugary foods people consume today.

It seems like when I deviate from this too far I get diarrhea, and my arthritis flares.

Right now I'm working towards giving up coffee to see if it helps my bowels.

I basically adhere to the idea of never eating anything that had eyes. Ugh!

:D I don't like eating eyes either. So... OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

marciab Enthusiast
i LOVE sprouts. how do you grow yours? i would love to learn!! (p.s I have hypoglycemia as well, and also insulin resistance. i can understand the need to eat protein a gazillion times a day. eating meat is very difficult for me because i really can't stand it. i like fish much better.)

I bought a sprouting kit at my health food store that is basically a mason jar with three plastic lids with different size holes in them. They are $5.89 at the store and online at www.texasbestunlimited.com. Look up sprouting supplies and then The jar. I have 2 kits now, but could use a third. I widened a very small section of the lid with the extra small holes, so that I could rinse them better. The water was pooling on the top.

I bought extra mason jars and keep 3 going at a time. It is so easy. Just soak your seeds / beans ovenight. Rinse thoroughly (3 times) with filtered water in the am and lay the jar on it's side covered so the light doesn't get to it. I just use a kitchen towel and leave the lid side open to air.

Then I rinse them again in the afternoon and at nite. They will be ready to eat in 2 or 3 days. Then you set them out in the light so they turn green and contain chlorophyl.

It is very important to keep them rinsed. I have heard warnings about bacteria, but I have never had a problem with mine. I think it is only the ones you buy out you have to worry about. Mung beans keep the best.

Be sure to only use organic sprouting seeds. And you only need to buy a small amount and sprout a small amout at a time. Learned that one the hard way :)

I really don't like meat either, but I have no choice. I had a hard time getting over the texture when I added it back earlier this year. :blink: It sure makes me feel better though. I'm looking into sauces. :)

Marcia

Archived