This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vitamin B12

Guest Shirelle

SandraB Newbie
Thanks for the info. Should have taken my mag. last night(had a chopin martini at Chang's last night). I always thought chocolate cravings meant lack of calcium but makes sense-mag. makes calcium work. I started adding mag. when I had no energy and also to protect the heart. What is the relationship of anemia to B12? LindaLee

Hi again - well magnesium works for my chocolate cravings. And another thing - I notice taking it has improved my speed of reaction. Bizarre but true. So some of those kids at school who are no good at ball games may have mineral deficiencies. I was useless myself. Something to do with potassium and you can't absorb it unless you have enough magnesium.

SandraB

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest southgoingzax

Can anyone tell me where to order injectible B vitamins? I was getting injections until my nurse practitioner went crazy and wont treat me anymore - and I think it was really helping with my fatigue, depression, and hair loss. Do I need a prescription?

Thanks,

zax

Turtle Enthusiast

I am probably gonna sound dumb but ya'll should be used to that by now, HA!

My questions are these....

I recognized some symptoms in myself that were mentioned here with regards to the magnesium. (tingling & chocolate (which I before going gluten-free I hardly ate chocolate, now I want it all the time). Is magnesium something that you buy OTC or do you have to have a script?

I'm currently taking Centrum Silver chewables and Caltrate chewables (i'm a whimp and can't swallow those horse pills).

Also, w/ the B-12 if your levels are normal, does taking B-12 anyway still help? I asked my dr about this a while back b/c I have low energy level most of the time and he told me my levels were fine & that taking B-12 wouldn't make much difference. Anyone have any insight or comments??

Thanks for all the good insight!

lindalee Enthusiast

I recognized some symptoms in myself that were mentioned here with regards to the magnesium. (tingling & chocolate (which I before going gluten-free I hardly ate chocolate, now I want it all the time). Is magnesium something that you buy OTC or do you have to have a script?

I'm currently taking Centrum Silver chewables and Caltrate chewables (i'm a whimp and can't swallow those horse pills).

Also, w/ the B-12 if your levels are normal, does taking B-12 anyway still help? I asked my dr about this a while back b/c I have low energy level most of the time and he told me my levels were fine & that taking B-12 wouldn't make much difference. Anyone have any insight or comments??

Magnesium deficency causes cravings for chocolate. I'm not sure about the tingling. You can get mag. from dairy, nuts, vegetables, fish, meat and seafood. I eat alot of nuts! Corn syrup leads to copper deficiency -which leads to bone fragility, anemia, high cholesterol, etc. People with functional bowel disease are very sensitive to fructose. It produces pronounced gastrointestinal distress which leads to mineral losses especially higher fecal excretions of iron and magnesium. Corn syrup is the cheap form of fructose. Eat those foods and hopefully that helps. LindaLee

lindalee Enthusiast
Hi All,

I'm back and with bad news - test results from brain MRI indicates MS. I am going for the spinal MRI Sunday morning and according to the doctor this will confirm MS if results are positive. Has anyone been misdiagnosed with MS and found it to be the B vitamins? Also, I have even read there is a suspected connection between MS and Celiac. This is only the first Doctor opinion and I will be going for another. Any input would be helpful.

Dr. David Perimutter ("The Brain Book") said celiac and wheat intolerants often develop white matter changes in the brain and are diagnosed as MS (says to go on a gluten free diet) He was on "YOUR HEALTH" last week. His site is www.Dr. Perimutter.com. Hope that helps you . LindaLee

• 2 weeks later...
queenofhearts Explorer
Anyway - worth a try, certainly if you have any of my symptoms. Magnesium ddoesn't spring to mind as being associated with tingling and twitches but apparently it is.

Hope this helps someone.

SandraB

I'm so glad you posted this! I'd thought for a while I might be magnesium-deficient, but before I went gluten-free I was always afraid of the D effect... now that's under control so I tried it, & noticed a marked increase in energy... not 100% sure it was the magnesium, but it certainly did coincide. So thanks!

Leah

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast
Hi All,

Diagnosed with Celiac a year ago this May after experiencing severe anemia and advanced Osteoporosis along with all the other classic digestive symptoms. I have adhered very strictly to the gluten-free diet but within a few months after switching over to the gluten-free diet I began to experience alot of problems. Although I felt better and the anemia reversed I started having alot of problems with burning and tingling on my lips, face and sometimes tingling and pain in my hands and feet. I recently read a posting here where someone had talked about vitmain B12 defiencies. Has anyone experienced any of the types of problems. It's been a year now and I am beginning to get discouraged with these conditions and thinking I wa better off before.

Discouraged

( I am not normally this short in my posts, but it is late, and I am on vicodin for dental work, and just killing time while my soup re-heats)

Hi Shirelle, I had the same symptoms. I have pernicious anemia. If my B12 isn't low, then it is my folic acid (currently low). I take TriVita sublingual B complex (B12, Folic Acid, and something else......). The GNC sublingual B12 is also gluten-free. Lynne is great, so follow her advice (at least I would) but if you can't find her B12's, you can get them at a local GNC too, just wanted to let you know they are gluten-free also. Nice to meet you! Night night....

• 2 weeks later...
SandraB Newbie

Hi. You can buy magnesium pills over the counter at any health store - it is worth researching on Google to see which people recommend. Some seem to be absorbed better than others.

Re an earlier question, I read ages ago that research now shows that a mega Vitamin B pill is just as effective as injected Vitamin B - might be worth checking for that on Google too because I can't remember where I read it.

Glad to hear the chocolate craving is a normal gluten-free diet development.

Another thing - is anyone looking at Vitamin E deficiency which seems to be associated with celiac disease too? Anyone out there experienced an improvement in any area with Vitamin E supplements or mega portions of almonds and spinach which apparently contain lots of Vit E?

SandraB

Archived