This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

May Have Celica

PaulaG

PaulaG Newbie

I am seeking advice as I know nothing about Celica Disease. On Wednesday August 6, i had a colonoscopy done and was told that i needed to have blood work done to test me for Celica and that when i go home I should stick to a Gluten free diet. After doing reseach and talking to people I am wondering why the doctor said this to me? Blood test alone does not conclude that you have Celica does it?? Does a colonscopy show something?? From what I have read, you need to have a scope and biospy done??

I was also told by a dietician that I should NOT be eating Gluten free right now because it will throw off the test results when they do the scope??

I don't know what to do and was hoping someone who has been through all the testing could tell me what to expect??

I didnt go into all my symptoms but they are pretty much dead on with what someone with Celica has.

I am also scheduled for a Upper GI next week and I am wondering if i need to do this now if the doctor is thinking it is Celica.

Looking forward to everyones input.

Paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Shalia Apprentice
I am seeking advice as I know nothing about Celica Disease. On Wednesday August 6, i had a colonoscopy done and was told that i needed to have blood work done to test me for Celica and that when i go home I should stick to a Gluten free diet. After doing reseach and talking to people I am wondering why the doctor said this to me? Blood test alone does not conclude that you have Celica does it?? Does a colonscopy show something?? From what I have read, you need to have a scope and biospy done??

I was also told by a dietician that I should NOT be eating Gluten free right now because it will throw off the test results when they do the scope??

I don't know what to do and was hoping someone who has been through all the testing could tell me what to expect??

I didnt go into all my symptoms but they are pretty much dead on with what someone with Celica has.

I am also scheduled for a Upper GI next week and I am wondering if i need to do this now if the doctor is thinking it is Celica.

Paula

The doctor who told you not to go gluten free till you have your blood work and biopsy is correct. If you care about being "gold standard" diagnosed, you need to be consuming gluten.

If you don't care about the gold standard diagnosis, then start eating gluten free and see how you feel. That will tell you more conclusively than anything whether or not you need to be on this diet.

Good luck to you.

Shalia

jerseyangel Proficient

Paula

Hi Paula--welcome to the board :)

The condition you are being tested for is called Celiac Disease. It's a genetic, autoimmune disorder in which the consumption of gluten causes damage to the lining of the small intestine so it can't properly absorb vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.

Your dietician was correct--you should stay on gluten until all of the testing is completed--both the blood work and the scope.

Celiac can be diagnosed by positive bloodwork alone--some doctors still believe that the biopsy is the "gold standard", but it can easily miss damage. A positive response to the gluten-free diet is also a valad diagnostic tool--if you know that you feel better off gluten, then don't eat it. (Again, don't try it until all of your tests are over with)

A colonoscopy is not used to diagnose Celiac--although it's an important test to rule out other things.

Best of luck with everything--keep us posted :)

Archived