Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prinsessa

Becareful About Store Signs

I went to Trader Joes yesterday to buy some groceries. There prices are so much cheaper than Whole Foods, so I try to buy most of my food from there. We were in the cereal section and right on the sign under the boxes of Puffins it says "Wheat Free Gluten Free". I remember being confused about Puffins before. I know I saw somewhere that it said they were gluten free, but when I went to the website (and this website) it said that they weren't. I was wondering for a while where I got the idea that they were gluten free. Well it must have been from Trader Joes.

I told the manager about it and he thanked me for pointing that out. I know Trader Joes tries hard to point out which foods are gluten free, but I guess they must have made a mistake. A lot of people think that wheat free=gluten free. It is a reminder that we always have to double check to make sure something is gluten free even if it says gluten free.

At this Trader Joes they have all the types of Puffins labeled as gluten free and they don't even sell the kind that is really gluten free. I know it confused me because I saw the Puffins labeled as gluten free at Trader Joes, but I noticed it didn't say gluten free on the box when I was going to buy them from Jewel. I am thinking about e-mailing Trader Joes to let them know they have to be more careful about what they label as gluten free. I am happy that they are making gluten free products and have a list for their store about what products are gluten free. I just don't want anyone to get sick.

Good for you to point it out! You might have saved someone else... It is always good to ck the box, not just the store label. I've corrected labeling at our local store, Sunflower and at Wild Oats several times.

I have 4 options locally for purchasing gluten-free foods - Kroger, Giant Eagle, and two health food stores. At the health food stores, they have 'wheat-free' products in the gluten-free section. I have debated with them on this and they won't change it. Also, they tried to sell hamburger buns to me that were from 'sprouted' grains. They tried to tell me that these were gluten-free.

I agree with others - you always need to watch out for yourself, unless you have an inside person at a retailer that really knows their stuff.

I have 4 options locally for purchasing gluten-free foods - Kroger, Giant Eagle, and two health food stores. At the health food stores, they have 'wheat-free' products in the gluten-free section. I have debated with them on this and they won't change it. Also, they tried to sell hamburger buns to me that were from 'sprouted' grains. They tried to tell me that these were gluten-free.

I agree with others - you always need to watch out for yourself, unless you have an inside person at a retailer that really knows their stuff.

That store sounds frustrating :( I wonder how many folks have "trusted" their misinformation...