Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HeatherR

Blood Test Results

Well, I talked to my primary doctor today, who filled out the lab work for me at my son's pediatrician's request. But he doesn't know what it means!!!

He said I have one of the genes: HLADQ2?

He is sending the lab work to my son's GI, so I will get more information on Oct. 5. I've been staying on gluten until I know whether I have to have a biopsy. Will a full celiac panel show if I am celiac, or are there more tests besides the biopsy?

Just curious as I'm having a hysterectomy soon, and don't know which to do first!

Thanks,

HeatherR

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Heather,

I haven't been through this, but from what I've read the full celiac blood panel should tell you (if the numbers are high enough in your blood) whether you have celiac or not. The biopsy can rule it in, but can't rule it out as they could miss a spot that is damaged or you may not have much damage yet.

DQ2 is a celiac gene.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Well, I talked to my primary doctor today, who filled out the lab work for me at my son's pediatrician's request. But he doesn't know what it means!!!

He said I have one of the genes: HLADQ2?

He is sending the lab work to my son's GI, so I will get more information on Oct. 5. I've been staying on gluten until I know whether I have to have a biopsy. Will a full celiac panel show if I am celiac, or are there more tests besides the biopsy?

Just curious as I'm having a hysterectomy soon, and don't know which to do first!

Thanks,

HeatherR

There can be some false negatives with both the blood test and the biopsy. Have you thought about using Enterolab?

In my opinion you should find out about whether you need to be gluten-free before the other surgery if you can. If you do need to be gluten-free and start following the diet it will be helpful to you while you are going through the healing process from the hysterectomy. Additionally many of us find that a stress to the body like surgery or an illness can make our celiac symptoms much worse. This could make for a harder recovery. If at all possible I would try to address the gluten issue presurgery.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Caryn,

I have fibroid tumors and an enlarged uterus. Also some pain that gets pretty fierce at times.

HeatherR

Ravenwoodglass,

I have many of the same symptoms as you wrote about yourself. I was curious about the nerve damage, whether it stays or not. I am on year 13 of misdiagnosis, and am concerned that much of my problems will stay.

When you say residual nerve damage, how much do you consider "residual"?

Thanks,

HeatherR