Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phillip

Could I Have Celiac

Hi All

Am a newbie to this site and am probably asking a familiar question (tried the search but couldnt find anything applicable to me)

Basically, my father has been diagnosed celiac (he is 52 years old, i am 23), he is yet to start the gluten-free diet. I have looked into the disease and think that i could have inherited it.

My main reason for thinking this is that i have always been underweight for as long as i can remember and it is not easy to gain weight. I am 5ft 9" and weigh 9 stone, and have similar build to my father. I do get ocasional indigestion and do feel sometimes feels tired. I have always thought maybe i am not eating enough or not eating the right foods. Now i have found out more about this condition i could possible be one of the many undiagnosed cases.

I am going to have a blood test to see if anything is found.

What do you guys think? What is the likelyhood of me inheriting the disease.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Phil

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!

I don't know what the equivalent of stone is to pounds ... but I believe there is a 10% chance of first-degree relatives having it. It's a good thing that you're being tested.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Hi Phil, and welcome to this board. Yes, the likelyhood is very high that you have inherited the celiac disease from your dad. And your symptoms fit the profile. Having the tests run is a good idea. But even if those turn out negative (there are many false negatives), it would be good for you to try the diet (after the testing is done).

Why hasn't your dad started on the diet yet? He is doing himself more damage by staying on gluten.

Do you have siblings? It is recommended that ALL first and second degree relatives of somebody with celiac disease get tested. You'd be surprised how many 'silent' celiacs there are. It isn't unheard of for somebody who's only obvious symptom is anemia, or depression, to have completely destroyed villi.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Phillip,

You may have inherited Celiac, but not yet have any symptoms. Even if all of your tests come back negative, and you decide for whatever reason that you do not currently have Celiac, pay attention to your body so that if you do develop the disorder, you will know sooner, rather than later.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.