Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

almostnrn

Foods To Avoid

While I don't think its healthy to focus on what you CAN'T have at all I think it might be usefull for new people..well heck all of us to see some ideas of what products are not ok. Other than the obvious of course. We all know there are lots of things out there that have hidden gluten in them. My biggest mistake at the beginning....any Asian food. I thought, geez no pasta, rice based it has to be safe...WRONG!!! Of course my heart was broken until I got some gluten-free soy sauce and found the gluten-free menu at PF Changs that is. In any event, sometimes I think its helpful to have that list of NEVER TO BUY things too, maybe it could save someone an accidental glutening!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am new to this, but have quickly figured out that no matter what McDonald's says about it's french fries, they are wrong!

Negative blood test

Positive dietary response

Endometriosis

Pelvic Congestion Syndrome

ADD

Asthma

Migraines

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Here's a link to celiac.com's forbidden list. I don't know if it will work because apparently I'm not quite as computer savy as I thought...but just go to the HomePage and scroll down to the Safe/Forbidden Links.

Forbidden List

EDIT: Yay it worked! So, I like this list because it has a lot of things you might see listed in ingredients and be unsure of.

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I am new to this, but have quickly figured out that no matter what McDonald's says about it's french fries, they are wrong!

Amen to that!!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

I wonder if the McDonald's fries vary from state to state--I was never glutened by their fries in Michigan or Long Island New York--NEVER! I no longer can have potatoes, so I don't eat them, but my sister still does in Michigan and has never had a problem.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I wonder if the McDonald's fries vary from state to state--I was never glutened by their fries in Michigan or Long Island New York--NEVER! I no longer can have potatoes, so I don't eat them, but my sister still does in Michigan and has never had a problem.

Funny you mention that...I had them twice in Michigan while travelling and had no problems. I figured though that since it was the McDonald's at the airport, they had dedicated fryers since they were so busy. Either way, I didn't have any problems.

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.