Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smilemaker

Flu Shot

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I wish I knew the answer to your question. I know the docs suggest getting the shot in October or November. I did not get one while I was pregnant (flu not a problem and pregnant over the summer)! I am sure someone else will chime in soon with an answer!

Hez

That's a question your ob/gyn would best be able to answer

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

If you really feel you must get a flu shot, please make sure you ask for one that is not preserved with thimerosal, which is 50% mercury--it crosses the placenta AND the blood-brain barrier. Most MD's are NOT aware of the dangers this poses to to the fetus. The thimerosal-free flu shot comes in individual ampules, so it WILL be more expensive.

If you have not had problems with the flu itself in the past, there is probably no reason to panic and run for a flu shot unless you are truly at risk. The problem is, there does seem to be evidence that getting the flu shot can CAUSE you problems if you are at risk.

This is a very difficult and complicated issue. Most people feel much more secure going into flu season with a flu shot. Somoe of us on this board have had real and potentially dangerous problems from the flu shot and other vaccines. And you can find research supporting either getting or not getting it. Personally, the only 2 years I got the flu (and other illnesses and problems) were the 2 years I got the flu shot.

I suggest you do a lot of CAREFUL research and not rely on the words of an MD or even my words without checking everything out yourself. There are websites galore. Obviously , the ones by the pharmaceutical industry are going to insist that flu shots are not only safe but necessary.

I just wanted to echo Fiddle Faddle. The shot for many can be worse than the flu.

Do some research and carefully consider it. For me I have found enough evidence against vaccines in general that I am not planning on vaccinating my baby when born. Mothering magazine has a small book available about the truth about vaccines that is very helpful.

Good luck with your research and decision and of course your baby :)

Mia