Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike44

Newly Diagnosed

Hi everybody,

I'm 44 yrs old. Yesterday I was diagnosed as having Coeliac Disease. I live in Essex in the UK.

It's all a bit daunting.

Hope to be able to participate fully in this forum.

Mike.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Mike, and welcome to the group!

It is daunting at first, but it does get easier! I hope you've had a chance to read over some of the posts--there's a lot of good information on the gluten-free diet, shopping, avoiding cross contamination at home and when eating out, and a host of other topics.

Feel free to ask any questions that you have--lots of great folks here who have been where you are right now :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hi Mike, and welcome to the group!

It is daunting at first, but it does get easier! I hope you've had a chance to read over some of the posts--there's a lot of good information on the gluten-free diet, shopping, avoiding cross contamination at home and when eating out, and a host of other topics.

Feel free to ask any questions that you have--lots of great folks here who have been where you are right now :)

Hi there and thank you for the welcome,

My first question is a little bit selfish!!!

Is A1 sauce gluten-free?

I'm trying to pick through my favourite food and see what I can or cannot eat. And, a steak just ain't a steak without A1!!!!!! The labelling on the bottle is not clear.

Mike.

I don't know which A1 sauce you have so I got the list of all A1 sauces.

http://kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=product&...ce&PageNo=1

also for a reference Kraft is really good with listing ingredients. so if there is a possibility of wheat, barley, rye, or oats in one of their products it will say it

Also welcome to the board. I've been gluten-free since Thursday (yeah I know, not that long) this board is sooo wonderful with everything from recipes to moral support and everything in between.

oops didn't realize you were in the uk.

Lisa

gluten-free since~November 30, 2006 (yes I know not long)

trying to stay away from milk

Also, keep in mind that the same exact product can have different ingredients in different countries. For example, Lea and Perrins Worchestershire Sauce is gluten-free in the US, but not in Canada. :rolleyes:

If you can list the ingredients, we can let you know if it looks gluten-free, or if there's anything you need to verify with the company. Like Pink Bunny said though, Kraft is really wonderful about being clear about what's in their products. They'll state modified wheat starch if it's wheat rather than the more vague modified food starch. I assume that they have the same policy in the UK as they have in the US.

Welcome to the board!

:D

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Welcome! My advice is to take one step at a time and get as many books on the subject as possible. I'm currently reading "Dangerous Grains" and I just finished "Living Gluten Free for Dummies" (or something to that effect). I find the more informed you are, the more driven you are to adhere to a strict diet.

Best to you!

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

Hi everybody,

I'm 44 yrs old. Yesterday I was diagnosed as having Coeliac Disease. I live in Essex in the UK.

It's all a bit daunting.

Mike.

Hi Mike - It's a small world - I live in Essex (UK) too !!!!

Welcome to the forum , lots of good advice to be had here ! : :)

My hubby was diagnosed 2 yrs ago and my son 2 months ago.

It does seem daunting at first but believe me when I say it does get easier.

Reading labels becomes a way of life!!

Fire away with any questions you might have - we are all here to help :):)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Also, keep in mind that the same exact product can have different ingredients in different countries. For example, Lea and Perrins Worchestershire Sauce is gluten-free in the US, but not in Canada. :rolleyes:

If you can list the ingredients, we can let you know if it looks gluten-free, or if there's anything you need to verify with the company. Like Pink Bunny said though, Kraft is really wonderful about being clear about what's in their products. They'll state modified wheat starch if it's wheat rather than the more vague modified food starch. I assume that they have the same policy in the UK as they have in the US.

Welcome to the board!

:D

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

The ingredient that concerns me on A1 is corn syrup???

Mike.

Hi Nancy,

The ingredient that concerns me on A1 is corn syrup???

Mike.

Corn syrup is gluten-free :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hi Mike - It's a small world - I live in Essex (UK) too !!!!

Welcome to the forum , lots of good advice to be had here ! : :)

My hubby was diagnosed 2 yrs ago and my son 2 months ago.

It does seem daunting at first but believe me when I say it does get easier.

Reading labels becomes a way of life!!

Fire away with any questions you might have - we are all here to help :):)

Hi Nikki.....

and everybody else who's welcomed me on here.

It's a little bit daunting, as I said earlier, being told you have a chronic disease. But, its also like the beginning of a new life, in which I hope to feel better than I have in a long, long time.

Mike.

Hi everybody,

It's all a bit daunting.

Mike.

Hi again Mike,

I meant to ask have you joined Coeliac UK yet??

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

black_cat.gif

Hi again Mike,

I meant to ask have you joined Coeliac UK yet??

Hi Nikki,

Yes I have. Joined yesterday.

Mike.

Hi Nikki,

Yes I have. Joined yesterday.

Mike.

Oh good!!

Once you receive the Gluten-Free food & drink directory it definitely helps enormously with those first few shopping trips.

I know after my hubby was diagnosed we absolutely relied on that little book (or bible as we refer to it!)

Also here is a UK based forum which can be very helpful with particular brand queries. :)

Nikki

black_cat.gif