Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wrote to a company about their spag sauce to make sure their modified food starch was corn. I was told what gluten was and that I should read the labels. Well I'm learning unless other wise stated it corn stratch not to trust it to be safe. I guess when I wrote another co they actually took time to let me know what foods of their were safe to eat. But also let me know it might contain tract amounts of malt.

Is there any way thats best to approach food co about what foods of their is gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I write them that im a regular consumer of their products or supermarket (even if im not), and i,ve just found out that my son its celiac (true) and ask them if they have any list of gluten free products.

They do their best and are happy to keep me as a costumer.

About the modifided corn starch dont be afraid to ask because is not 100% that is always gluten free.

Never feel bad about calling o writing them. The more the merrier and one day maybe they,ll realize that its worth it to put a "gluten free" label.,

Abi

Abigail, mom of Brian (36 months and Celiac since oct 2006), and Alan (9 month and Didnt try any gluten yet...)

I agree with the above post, the more you call or e-mail companies, the more likely they will label their foods gluten free. Eventually, if their phone operators are spending enough time on the allergy questions, they will decide that it would be cost effective to label gluten free. :)

Phone seems to be the best way to get answers from a company. E-mail is the next best way. Be sure to push them when you call to verify that their vinegar is distilled. Always ask about questionable ingredients in detail. I've caught a couple of companies on this, they state something is gluten free and then they can't verify that their vinegar is distilled or what their natural flavors are... I'm always really careful because I'm super sensitive. With this approach I very rarely get glutened.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004