Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpellegr

Spritz Cookies

These work even without xanthan gum.

1 c (2 sticks) butter, softened

2/3c sugar

Cream the above until white and fluffy.

Add 3 egg yolks. Do not substitute whole eggs because it will change the texture of the cookies.

Add 1t almond extract (or vanilla).

Add in gradually: a mix of

2c brown rice flour

1/2 c sweet rice flour

1/2t salt

Put through a cookie press onto ungreased cookie sheets, sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake at 400 for 7-10 minutes, let cool on paper towels.

Okay, the cholesterol and fat in these might kill you, but you'll die smiling.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

do they work well in a press? the last few times i've tried to make spritzes i've ended up with goo clogging up the press! how do these go through?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I had no trouble getting it through the press, but I have trouble getting the cookie off the press at the end, so I stick to the small star (modern presses might not have this - it's a 6-sided star about 1/2" across, and you press out a long ribbon, then break it into smaller pieces and shape into circles or S's) or the bar - it's the long zigzag hole, again you make a long strip and cut it into smaller pieces. I never could get a cookie press to drop out individual cookies, even with gluten dough. But getting it to come out of the press is no problem. These were starting to brown at the edges in about 7-8 minutes.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

I make the normal ones.... with the cream cheese ... and they are virtually free of gluten ... when you use the rice flour.

But I grew up on these cookies and I love them ... but hope the new version is ( rice in stead of wheat flour) is just as good.