This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Infertility And Vitamins

klaya

klaya Rookie

Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for some good advice. I have been gluten-free for about 15 years (Mother Grandmother and Uncle all have celiac disease) I am now 35 and have been TTC for almost 2 years. I have very regular periods but suffer from extremely sore breasts, cramping from the time of ovulation to the first day of my period and mood swings. I have been to see a fertility doc and am waiting on some test results. In the mean time I have been reading about vitamins and was wondering if anyone out there has had any success getting pregnant after adding more vitamins like B6? Any advice would be helpful, I am losing hope.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Check out Open Original Shared Link. It's a group I used to teach natural family planning with and we've helped many people achieve pregnancy in natural ways. There are many things you can learn from charting your temperature ... one is if you have an adequate luteal phase, which is essential. It sounds like that could possibly be a problem because of your pms symptoms.

B6 and magnesium help. Also take a GOOD prenatal from the health food store, they're much better balanced than the pharmaceutical ones. Be sure you're also taking a B complex. You DO NOT want to just take an isolated B vitamin by itself. B vitamins work together, that's why they're all named "B" vitamins!

Does your mucus get wet and stretchy like raw egg white in the middle of your cycle? If not, you may need more vitamin A. Without healthy mucus the sperm cannot migrate. Do not just start taking vitamin A as you can take too much. Carrots are a good source, but if you can't/won't start eating them every day, then add beta carotene as it will be converted to vitamin A in your body as you need it.

Put hubby on a good vitamin, too. Have him take extra vitamin C as it's good for sperm health.

It's also very important to relax and have fun when you're trying ;) .

klaya Rookie

Oh thank you! Its so nice to have someone to chat with on this subject. My Doc isn't really familiar with celiac disease so I have been trying to educate myself as best I can in regards to fertility. Since I have been gluten-free for so long I didn't think that it was going to be a factor but after 2 years I'm beginning to think otherwise. I have just had my first round of infertility testing and am awaiting the results. My husband has also been tested. I just have a feeling that there's something here that's related to nutrition. I haven't been taking my vitamins but I did just pick up a very good pre-natal vitamin from the health food store and I started taking a calcium magnesium supplement about 3 weeks ago. I do get the egg white mucus but it seems to only last for one day, is that normal? I think that when I was younger there where more days when I experienced that type of mucus. That's why I keep thinking that I might have a vitamin deficiency. I also have lost weight from being stressed out. I've always been thin but I am way below where I think I should be. So I've been eating a lot more too. I will visit your site and thank you again for taking the time to reply.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It varies how long people have the mucus ... one day may be enough ... just be sure it's a day you try!!! ;) Eat carrots, it will ensure it's the best quality it can be!

There will most likely be a teaching couple somewhere near you that can help you as CCL is an international organization. Feel free to ask me questions, too. Nutrition DEFINATELY can make a difference. I'd start on a B complex supplement (it will have B6) and a magnesium (you can even take 1000 mg.). Cal/mag is NOT good enough as it won't help the ratio of magnesium to calcium ... that's what needs to be changed. Keep taking it, but add more magnesium.

Like celiac, most docs are not trained on nutrition. Fertility docs start off with very high tech answers, but sometimes low tech nutritional changes are enough to make the difference.

If you're having regular periods, and if you are having the mucus patch, you are most likely ovulating, so your weight probably doesn't make much of a difference. You have enough estrogen to cycle.

klaya Rookie

We are very good about trying on those good mucus days but the doc told us that if it hasn't happened in the last 1.5 years then there's something wrong. I'm not to excited about LAP surgery or any of the other medical avenues at this time. I really want to give my body the chance to work. My Mom and my grandmother both have celiac disease and they both had 2 babies each. I really want to explore this hormone/vitamin/mineral balance before anything else.

Thank you so much for the advice I will eat more carrots and add the magnesium and Bs along with the multi. You've helped me get my hope back a little it really fades away now and then.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It could be a medical problem ... but it's worth trying the low tech stuff first. I think doc dismiss the natural stuff too quickly. Keep me posted!!

klaya Rookie

I will, Thank you! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loribop22 Newbie
Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for some good advice. I have been gluten-free for about 15 years (Mother Grandmother and Uncle all have celiac disease) I am now 35 and have been TTC for almost 2 years. I have very regular periods but suffer from extremely sore breasts, cramping from the time of ovulation to the first day of my period and mood swings. I have been to see a fertility doc and am waiting on some test results. In the mean time I have been reading about vitamins and was wondering if anyone out there has had any success getting pregnant after adding more vitamins like B6? Any advice would be helpful, I am losing hope.

Hi, I'm new here too, however I am pretty active at fertilityfriend.com where I chart my temps and get help trying to conceive. There are about 4 of us Gluten Free people there, however I am the only one with Celiac that I know of. I went in November to a Reproductive Endo and just took Clomid and did IUI (artif insem) I think there are some challenges due to the years of eating foods that made me sick and not knowing it. It's good that you've been gluten-free for such a long time. Good luck with your test results and please feel free to ask me any questions about them as I just went thru it! Good Luck.

klaya Rookie
Hi, I'm new here too, however I am pretty active at fertilityfriend.com where I chart my temps and get help trying to conceive. There are about 4 of us Gluten Free people there, however I am the only one with Celiac that I know of. I went in November to a Reproductive Endo and just took Clomid and did IUI (artif insem) I think there are some challenges due to the years of eating foods that made me sick and not knowing it. It's good that you've been gluten-free for such a long time. Good luck with your test results and please feel free to ask me any questions about them as I just went thru it! Good Luck.

At this point I am hoping that the doc will find something on the tests, anything that will lead us in the right direction. We're really just getting started with this whole thing (after trying for 2 years). I really don't know how far we are going to take it

happygirl Collaborator

If you are on a strict gluten free diet, then the fact that you are a Celiac should not really matter but so much. Celiac has been shown to cause problems when mothers are undiangosed/not following the diet.

Has your full Celiac panel been run to rule out if you are doing well on the diet?

Good luck and I hope you find some answers and get results ;)

klaya Rookie
If you are on a strict gluten free diet, then the fact that you are a Celiac should not really matter but so much. Celiac has been shown to cause problems when mothers are undiangosed/not following the diet.

Has your full Celiac panel been run to rule out if you are doing well on the diet?

That's what I thought too and my fertility issues may have nothing to do with the fact that I have celiac disease. I didn't even really consider it a factor until recently when I started having more serious PMS and thought maybe that was attributed to lack of certain types of vitamins. It will most likely be something else, you just never know with celiac disease, it can and usually does factor into every aspect of life. Thanks for the advice I've never had any of the celiac disease blood work because the disease runs in my family(my uncle was diagnosed as a child in the 50's and Mom and Grandmother in the 70's) we just recognize the symptoms and I know how I feel :)

Maybe it's time for the tests although I'm not sure how accurate they would be after not having gluten in my system for so long.

• 2 weeks later...
klaya Rookie

We (husband and I) got our test results back and all is normal and good. So it appears that celiac disease is not really effecting my fertility at this point. Since I've been off gluten for so long I really didn't think it was an issue but you never know. The next step will be a pelvic x-ray 'Dye' test and then the Lap surgery if needed. I thank you for taking the time to talk. This forum seems to be such a wonderfully supportive place for those of us TTC and gluten-free.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AutumnE

I hope you dont mind me popping over on this post, I didnt see it before. A vitamin program can help the male or the female. Your reproductive endocrinologist should be able to recommend a program. There are lots of small issues with conceiving that are easily remedied, IuI helps also sometimes just making a clear shot for the sperm to flow up with no barriers.

Between me and my sister we have tried various treatments. If you have any question feel free to pm me, I would be glad to help.

klaya Rookie
I hope you dont mind me popping over on this post, I didnt see it before. A vitamin program can help the male or the female. Your reproductive endocrinologist should be able to recommend a program. There are lots of small issues with conceiving that are easily remedied, IuI helps also sometimes just making a clear shot for the sperm to flow up with no barriers.

Between me and my sister we have tried various treatments. If you have any question feel free to pm me, I would be glad to help.

Hi there! my husband an I are now both on vitamin supplements but since both my blood work and his sperm analysis came back normal, the doc didn't really commend anything specific. I think he's more focused on finding a blockage. Some reason that the eggs aren't making it down the tubes, thus the HSG yesterday. If nothing happens in the next 3 months he'll go in and look for endometriosis, that will probably be our last treatment. Financially we probably won't be able to go much further and I think that we will just explore other alternatives. Anyway, I really appreciate your advice and willingness to help. If any questions arise I will certainly ask.

Klay

Guest AutumnE

Im sorry to hear you dont have infertility insurance either. We spent a small fortune. If its endo there are a couple of different ways to go about it depending on extent of it and location, if you do have this- research it thoroughly to make sure of your options.

My sister had a lap done and they found some endo and removed most of it except what was on the bladder. They had an issue with her husband's sperm not being able to penetrate her egg so they did ivf and icsi was needed since they didnt mesh.

Hopefully you wont have to go that far though.

Have you done progesterone tests after ovulation also to make sure your body would suppourt a pgcy, if not it could be a very early miscarriage which may not be detectable. ( it was part of my problem) Or have you had a post coital test? It might be an option to make sure they can get through the cervix, as the cervical fluid might be too thick or scanty to help them through, plain robitussin was recommended to me (without dm on it) for increasing cervical fluid through my reproductive endo; it did help but ask your dr for sure if he wants you to take it first. And lots of water, try and stay away from sinus meds since they might dry you up.

Also insemination might be an option as it would bypass any cervical fluid issues, alot of dr's have it pretty affordable. Clomid is very cheap also. I think it was $15 a month for the cost of it. The expense was the u/s to go with it( but they did creative billing with mine labeling it "cramping, missed periods" as if they were looking for a cyst so one was paid for and usually I had to pay for one). Injectibles on the other hand ( after clomid typically ) are pricey little buggers.

Dont feel the need to answer if Im getting too personal, I just wanted to mention a few options to you in case it might help.

Take Care

Autumn

ETA- a book I absolutely loved and helped me learn about my body and natural methods for better chances of concieving was "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" .

klaya Rookie

I have had the progesterone tests and all is normal there. My Doc is convinced that I can carry a baby, I just need to get that darn egg down the tube :) I think that I am lucky in that my body seems to be functioning normally.

I have regular periods and all my hormone levels are normal. I feel lucky because I don't have to go on any drugs to regulate my cycle and my ultrasound shows that there are eggs being released. So, the closest they can come to a reason for the infertility is a blockage. Since I'm 35 I sort of feel like age might be a factor too but we'll just keep on going, doing what we can and hope for the best.

If I get any info that might help the community I will certainly pass it along. Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to do my research now and down the line.

Take care,

Klay

• 4 weeks later...
kirbymom Newbie

Have you thouhgt about going dairy free for a while. This may soound a bit odd to you, but a recent study showed that 50% of celiacs have a problem with casein. I beleive this is a much higher number of people than those actually practicing a gluten-free diet. If you are milk intolerant (asymptomatically - I was asymptomatically gluten intolerant), this may be causing issues similar to someone who is celiac, but does not know it. Just a thought. BTW, I do agree with the B complex and magnesium recommendation as well. I would also be using probiotics for optimal gut health.

klaya Rookie

Hi! Its funny, this month I cut way back on dairy because I have had issues with it in the past. I have noticed a difference in my sinuses and I am having less PMS symptoms this month.

Thanks for the advice, I think that you're on to something.

• 2 weeks later...
klaya Rookie

Hi, I just wanted give you all an update. I had the Dye Test last month and then about a week ago my doc put me on Amoxicillin because I was having a lot of back pain and cramping (he thought I might have an infection form the test). Now I am 8 days late. I took an EPT 2 days before my period was due and it was negative. I am a little hesitant to take another test until I am few more days late. Has anyone had any experience with antibiotics and gluten? I asked the pharmacist if the drug was gluten free but she didn't know. Anyway, I'm feeling very bloated but I don't have my usual PMS symptoms so I'm not sure if I'm pregnant or have some sort of reaction to the antibiotics that has delayed my period. I also cut way back on dairy this month??? Who knows maybe that had some kind of effect.

Any one out there have any insight?

Archived