Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone experienced intestinal problems from Kefir? I just started drinking Kefir (raspberry) for the first time last week and was having a lot of gas (the loud kind, not the smelly kind). I noticed that it was on the days that I drank the Kefir (probably only about 4 oz each time). Just wondering if anyone else has had wierd side effects from this. I don't think it's gluten, and it's not the same as my other dairy problems :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just started drinking raspberry kefir made by Helios Saturday. Did you notice how much sugar it has ? 23 grams ... I think plain only has 10 grams. Helios kefir is gluten free.

If this is your first time drinking kefir you may have to back off and only drink 2 oz at a time. It can be hard on your digestive tract. Any change, even one for the better, can take some getting used to.

I didn't notice any problems with it, but I have been drinking kefir off and on since 2005.

Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

I noticed this:

I don't think it's gluten, and it's not the same as my other dairy problems

Kefir is usually made from milk, so I'd ascribe it to that.

I make kefir myself from coconut milk and my kefir cultures. It is good!

It doesn't give me gas. It seems to make my gut pretty happy.

Guest cassidy

I drink the Lifeway brand - about 12 oz a day and I've never had any problems. Other people have said that they have problems adjusting to probiotics, and since this contains probiotics, maybe that is the issue.