Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deb.h.

Green Grasses

I have been gluten free for four years now and over the past three months have been getting symptoms back again to the point where I feel like 'i am back at square one. I just looked up the ingredients on a probiotic I have been taking every morning for a couple of months now and for the first time I see it has oat and barley grasses in it. some people tell me it is gluten free and others say beware. I pray this is the answer. Just looking for some fedback. It will take a few days to see if this is it but I sure hope so. Any one else have problems with greens. The product is Garden of Life Primal Defense. Deb

Debbie

gluten-free since Jan.1,2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sorry Debbie, I am of no help. Others will post with some information for you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I have been gluten free for four years now and over the past three months have been getting symptoms back again to the point where I feel like 'i am back at square one. I just looked up the ingredients on a probiotic I have been taking every morning for a couple of months now and for the first time I see it has oat and barley grasses in it. some people tell me it is gluten free and others say beware. I pray this is the answer. Just looking for some fedback. It will take a few days to see if this is it but I sure hope so. Any one else have problems with greens. The product is Garden of Life Primal Defense. Deb

I would avoid it due to the grasses. In theory, at some point, the grasses mature enough such that all gluten protein in the grain are used up, and the blade can be harvested before going to seed such that no gluten in obtained, but that's a lot of theory for a factory application where grains grow at different rates and harvesting is less than perfect and production can have contamination.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Beware of the green!

If this were a perfect world, the grass from wheat and barley would be safe. Unfortunately, there is a high chance of the grain of the plant getting into the grass that's used for the green.

Last year I took barley grass on a daily basis and felt like it was not setting well with me. Later I read about the contamination issues on this forum and it made sense to me. I don't drink it anymore.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10