This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Does Anyone Make Their Own Flour Out There?

cchhrriiss

cchhrriiss Newbie

Does anyone make their own flour? I need a suggestion on a mill or grinder to buy. I would like to invest in a nice one, but there are so many choices. I didn't see any info on mills or making flour, but I'm new . I might have missed it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Hi,

I just decided to grind my own flour. I bought a Blendtec formeraly blendtec Kitchen mill. I'ts wonderful. I have only done rice and quinoa so far. The flours are just as fine as the bulk flour I use to buy. And I'm saving a lot of money. We figured out that it would take a year for it to pay for it's self, but after that, you're saving a lot. I purchased this grain mill from Everythingkitchens.com for $179. The only down fall is it's load. But that's to be expected! Hope I've help.

Amy

larry mac Enthusiast
Hi, I just decided to grind my own flour. I bought a Blendtec formeraly blendtec Kitchen mill. I'ts wonderful. I have only done rice and quinoa so far. The flours are just as fine as the bulk flour I use to buy. And I'm saving a lot of money. We figured out that it would take a year for it to pay for it's self, but after that, you're saving a lot. I purchased this grain mill from Everythingkitchens.com for $179. The only down fall is it's load. But that's to be expected! Hope I've help. Amy

That looks like a nice thing to have, and that model seems to be a great choice. By load, do you mean the size of the fill hopper on top?

Wouldn't one still have to purchase some flours that you can't obtain for home grinding, or at least sourghum (which I just started using)? Since adding a variety of flours, I'm finding an improvement in taste, texture, and nutrition over simple rice & starch blends.

best regards, lm

AmyTopolski Apprentice
That looks like a nice thing to have, and that model seems to be a great choice. By load, do you mean the size of the fill hopper on top?

Wouldn't one still have to purchase some flours that you can't obtain for home grinding, or at least sourghum (which I just started using)? Since adding a variety of flours, I'm finding an improvement in taste, texture, and nutrition over simple rice & starch blends.

best regards, lm

Sorry about that. I had a typing error. I meant to say loud. This grain mill can grind Sorghum (milo). If you can find a place to purchase the whole grain from. The only things I use that I cannot grind is the starches.

Amy

cchhrriiss Newbie

Thank you for the info on the mill. Is blendtec the same as ktec? I did look at that ktec mill it was my top choice, but it is such a big purchase you hate to make it without talking to someone who has it first. It's like buying a stroller at first yours seems great and then you see all the other functions that another one can do. I made a couple of pounds of brown rice flour (used medium grain), and a couple of pounds of Great Northern Bean flour. I used my 10.00 Krups mill, it blew up the engine. It is amazing how easy it is to make your own flour and for the fraction of the cost of buying it. Yes, I too buy my starch, but if you fiqure out how to make it let me know. Sorhgum where do you buy that?

AmyTopolski Apprentice
Thank you for the info on the mill. Is blendtec the same as ktec? I did look at that ktec mill it was my top choice, but it is such a big purchase you hate to make it without talking to someone who has it first. It's like buying a stroller at first yours seems great and then you see all the other functions that another one can do. I made a couple of pounds of brown rice flour (used medium grain), and a couple of pounds of Great Northern Bean flour. I used my 10.00 Krups mill, it blew up the engine. It is amazing how easy it is to make your own flour and for the fraction of the cost of buying it. Yes, I too buy my starch, but if you fiqure out how to make it let me know. Sorhgum where do you buy that?

Blendtec is the same company. They are just changing names. I haven't had mine but for a week, but if you go to Epinoins.com they have some good reviews from people who have had them longer. As soon as mine came it had a crack in it. They have very good customer service and said they would send me a new one right away and to use that one until it arived. After doing a lot of research I found that the bledntec Ktec was the best way to go. If you have any other specific questions I will try to answer them for you.

Amy

cchhrriiss Newbie

Amy, Thanks.... so do you think we are the only ones that make their own flour? I was concerned with all the money I was spending on Gluten free food. I've never read anything about making flour on this site (let me know if I missed something!) We are a family of five, and money has never been an issue, but I have felt quilty spending 6.00 on some muffins. Now... I bake everything for alot less and it tastes better. Do you grind beans, and make flour? I know Ktec said, lentils, but I haven't found a recipe with lentils. Have you tried Garbonzso beans?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I'm interested in this too, but y'all know so much more than me already I couldn't add anything. I tried grinding rice in my coffee bean grinder last week and even though it looked ok, it was too heavy.

My chocolate muffins taste good, but they didn't rise and they are heavy.

I hate the thought of spending $200 on a grinder too. Would a used one be out of the question if it was cleaned thoroughly ? Maybe grind up a few rounds of brown rice just to clean it first.

I noticed that homemade flax meal tastes great compared to the prepackaged ground flax meal, so I was wondering if the same applies to flours. Anyone know ?

Marcia

AmyTopolski Apprentice
Amy, Thanks.... so do you think we are the only ones that make their own flour? I was concerned with all the money I was spending on Gluten free food. I've never read anything about making flour on this site (let me know if I missed something!) We are a family of five, and money has never been an issue, but I have felt quilty spending 6.00 on some muffins. Now... I bake everything for alot less and it tastes better. Do you grind beans, and make flour? I know Ktec said, lentils, but I haven't found a recipe with lentils. Have you tried Garbonzso beans?

I have done all my own gluten free baking since day one. I have bought prepackaged foods, but my daughter reacts to them. She is severly reactive to cross contamination. She is 3 now and the reason we all went gluten free. We never had an issue with money before, but still didn't want to spend all that money on gluten free foods. Now my husband just took a pay cut and I'm a stay at home mom of 2 little ones. I bake and cook all day long sometimes. I personally don't use bean flour because my daughter does not like it. Even the smallest amount in a recipe she can detect. This grain mill can do any bean or dried pea. I did have a post earlier on which product was best but didn't get too many people commenting. I think people tend to go the easier way and spend the money. If you have the money that's great!, but if you need to save, this is the way to go. I have only done brown rice, white rice and quinoa. My daughter love quinoa. It's high in protein and vitamin B. So I try to use it as much as I can. Hope I'm shedding some light on things for you!

Amy

AmyTopolski Apprentice
I'm interested in this too, but y'all know so much more than me already I couldn't add anything. I tried grinding rice in my coffee bean grinder last week and even though it looked ok, it was too heavy.

My chocolate muffins taste good, but they didn't rise and they are heavy.

I hate the thought of spending $200 on a grinder too. Would a used one be out of the question if it was cleaned thoroughly ? Maybe grind up a few rounds of brown rice just to clean it first.

I noticed that homemade flax meal tastes great compared to the prepackaged ground flax meal, so I was wondering if the same applies to flours. Anyone know ?

Marcia

I find that it does taste better. I know $200 dollars is a lot but it will pay for it'self in no time. Also, a grain mill cannot grind flax meal. My flours are not heavy with this grain mill. Espcially on the finest setting.

Amy

cchhrriiss Newbie

I make apple muffins, I think their fine, but could be just happy thier my own. Did you use xanthum gum, to bind. gluten-free flour mix (ex. Tapioca, brown rice, Bean flour). Oh.. Amy when do you use Quinoa flour? Example if it calls for gluten-free flour where do you put it? Does your whole family react to Gluten? Just your daughter? Thats great you can all be on the same page.......I'm cooking three dinners a night crazy eh....Thanks, chris

AmyTopolski Apprentice
I make apple muffins, I think their fine, but could be just happy thier my own. Did you use xanthum gum, to bind. gluten-free flour mix (ex. Tapioca, brown rice, Bean flour).

For muffins I use a mix that I measure ahead of time. Its 2 cup rice flour (we use brown for the extra vitamins and protein), 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch and 3 tsp xanthan gum. I find this works good for most baked goods. Yes, I get the same satisfaction from it being my own.

AmyTopolski Apprentice

I use quinoa mainly in bread recipes about 1/4 cup per recipe. We tried doing different meals, but it was too hard and too risky for my daughter. After all of us going gluten free my younger daughter's severe acid reflux and severe allergies have gone away. She is no longer on 3 medicine twice a day. Which is a blessing! Also, I have had great results. My joint pain has gone away, migrains are gone, and feel so much better. I have more energy. Which is a good thing in this house!

Amy

marciab Enthusiast

"For muffins I use a mix that I measure ahead of time. Its 2 cup rice flour (we use brown for the extra vitamins and protein), 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch and 3 tsp xanthan gum. I find this works good for most baked goods. Yes, I get the same satisfaction from it being my own. "

Can you tell me which brand of potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthum gum you use ?

Do you give your daughter Hershey's chocolate cocoa or bars ? Marcia

chrissy Collaborator

i grind my own flour. i have a nutrimill grinder. so far, i have only ground rice flour, but it comes out really nice. the company i bought it from was really good to work with. i had a problem with it when i first got it and they took care of it right away----they actually ended up sending me a new grinder.

you can buy whole sorghum from azure standard---it is also called milo. i want to get some of this soon----i like using sorghum flour----i think it has a little more nutrition in it.

AmyTopolski Apprentice
Can you tell me which brand of potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthum gum you use ?

Do you give your daughter Hershey's chocolate cocoa or bars ? Marcia

I buy my starches, xanthan gum and grains from a local store here in Appleton WI. If you want to check out their website it is Cathysbulkfoods.com. They have very good deals and are Celiac friendly. They have a section in their store dedicated to gluten free products. The starches are 80 cents a lb and you can get 50 lbs of brown rice for $20 but I don't know what shipping is like.

We do not give our daughter chocolate candies or bars because of the dairy in them. We do however use cocoa powder. I have used Hershey's but now I but the cocoa powder from that same store. When I need to use chocoalte we use Baker's Secret chocolate chucks because they are dairy free.

Amy

Archived