Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jesscarmel

Gluten In Corn Starch?

Okay so i have been taking a medication and when i went to pick it up it said on the bottle "This is the same medication you have been taking it is just different in size or color". it still said "inwood labs". i called CVS And they said they are switching to caraco labs. so i called caraco labs today and asked if there was any gluten in the medication. she said yes, "gluten from corn starch". i explained what gluten was and that gluten is not in corn. she said she would get back to me- she was kind of rude. what does this mean??? i also cant stop the medication suddently or i get withdrawl symptoms. i have a few days left at least of the inwood labs one which i know is gluten free.

Jess

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Jess.. maybe they were referring to corn gluten? corn has its own, and it doesnt affect us. that is all i can think of! i am sure others will chime in on this one

Stephanie

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

Hi Jess.. maybe they were referring to corn gluten? corn has its own, and it doesnt affect us. that is all i can think of! i am sure others will chime in on this one

Stephanie

thanks Stephanie. i didnt know there was such thing as corn gluten. who knew? that is kind of confusing. i geuss its is a different kind of gluten.

edit- okay they just called me back and said it was corn gluten and "not the gliadin that affects celiacs" so i geuss its okay. i got scared for a minute!

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Gluten, technically, is a generic term, for the protein found in pretty much every single grain - wheat, barley, rye, corn, millet, rice, buckwheat, etc. Chemically speaking, it's a broad term.

Medically, our community uses it to refer to only four of the gluten proteins - from wheat, barley, rye, and oats - out of all of them. (Hence, the term is overloaded.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA