Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emi_220

Gluten-free Yellow Birthday Cake Recipe?

This is my first birthday being gluten-free so I've never had to make a gluten-free cake before! Does anyone have any good recipes or mixes for birthday cakes (preferably yellow/vanilla) that they've tried and would recommend? thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Allrecipes.com has a WONDERFUL yellow cake recipe (gluten free), just go to the site and do a search for gluten free cake.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

My family tradition is to have either a sponge cake or a chiffon cake for birthdays. I find that both of these standard recipes convert well, and sponge and chiffon recipes are available in most standard cook books. I use an equal parts mixture of Bob's Red Mill Soy flour, sweet rice flour and tapioca starch to replace the flour. e.g. if the recipe calls for 1 c. of regular flour, measure 1/3 c of each of the gluten-free replacements. Blend the flours well with a whisk, or sift them a couple times. Even though I am the only one gluten-free in my house, I usually make gluten-free cake for all birthdays (if I'm baking it, I'm eating it :P ), and the kids never complain about these recipes.

Debbie

Gluten free since July 97

corn free since Jan 98

Never diagnosed by a Doctor

Symptoms cleared on gluten-free diet

Mom and one sister are also gluten-free

One sister with type I diabetes (diagnosed at age 10)

This thread is perfect for me too as I just made yellow cupcakes for this weekend for a birthday party we were going to. I used Annalise Robert's recipe. It tasted good, but was very crumbly. We couldn't even put frosting on them.

Any ideas why this could be?

Nikki

Nikki, did you use xantham gum? Many gluten free recipes turn out crumbly due to the lack of gluten. Try the recipe on allrecipes.com. It uses mayo as the fat which helps to hold it together really well. Mine weren't crumbly at all and no one could even tell that they were gluten free.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Thanks for the input- I think I'm gonna try the allrecipes.com one this weekend! it looks really good. :)

My mom actually made a cake for me before I told her about this thread. She made it from Pamela's Baking mix and it was really good! A little dense, but my friend (who doesn't have celiac) said she thought it tasted like a normal cake! So I reccomend pamela's if anyone else is looking for a recipe, but I'll be trying the allrecipes one this weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Also- does anyone know if there are any commercial frosting brands that are safe? I checked the ingrediants of some I saw, but a couple of the ingrediants were questionable so my mom ended up having to make some from scratch. Thanks again!