Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DElizabethE

Nervous I Glutened Myself

Hi,

Does anyone get nervous about making gluten-free and non gluten-free meals at the same time? Usually I'm ok with it. I am the only member of the family with celiac disease. I am a single Mom and a lot of times my daughters eat gluten-free with me. But other times I make different things...I am sooooo careful though with cc, washing my hands constantly and using my own utensils etc. They are even on me about that. I also have older sons and when they are here I'm careful too. But it's school vacation week and my daughters are having friends over and I'm already afraid I glutened myself at dinner. I don't know exactly how (maybe because I was rushing around and not careful) but I can already feel my stomach churning. I'll know for sure because my main symptom has been severe abdominal pain. Next time I better just wait to eat when everyone else is done.

This is all just so hard sometimes and I know I'm not alone. I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Diane

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest cassidy

It is scary to make gluten filled food around your gluten-free food. I usually make mine afterwards, or before. I made a roast for myself yesterday so it is in the fridge and I can just microwave what I want and not have to actually cook my food around my husband's gluten food. You could do something like that this week, just to be sure. Sometimes I cook all my stuff and then just plate it after I get all his food out of the kitchen.

I never get sick at home when it is just the two of us, but I did get sick when I hosted a birthday party and had all sorts of gluten food around.

Hope this week goes well, and it is reasonable to be worried about this.

I am so sorry to hear that you arent feeling well. I can relate now though. I dont cook anything with gluten in it, my family eats gluten free, or they eat out.. which would only be my other half as Colin is only 21 months and isnt going to Mickey D's or anything!

But recently I had been having a string of mysterious glutenings... and the only gluten in my house was my b/f's loaf of bread, which remained sealed on the other side of the room, a bag of cookies, like Chips Ahoy or whatever was on sale, and Doritios, yes the nacho ones! lol his favorite. They are no longer allowed in the house either.. I was getting mysteriously glutened all the time, seems I was picking up his crumbs somewhere. I finally convinced him that a crumb will fly off a crunched on Dorito and land on the puter keyboard or anywhere else, and voila, me unknowingly touched it and got it.. yuck.

basically after all my rambling is I know how you feel.. I hope you feel better and it all works out

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I am so sorry to hear that you arent feeling well. I can relate now though. I dont cook anything with gluten in it, my family eats gluten free, or they eat out.. which would only be my other half as Colin is only 21 months and isnt going to Mickey D's or anything!

But recently I had been having a string of mysterious glutenings... and the only gluten in my house was my b/f's loaf of bread, which remained sealed on the other side of the room, a bag of cookies, like Chips Ahoy or whatever was on sale, and Doritios, yes the nacho ones! lol his favorite. They are no longer allowed in the house either.. I was getting mysteriously glutened all the time, seems I was picking up his crumbs somewhere. I finally convinced him that a crumb will fly off a crunched on Dorito and land on the puter keyboard or anywhere else, and voila, me unknowingly touched it and got it.. yuck.

basically after all my rambling is I know how you feel.. I hope you feel better and it all works out

Hi,

Thank you both for writing back. I was hoping someone could relate to how I was feeling. I don't make my kids have gluten free meals all the time. Since they were tested and they don't even have the gene I didn't think it was fair to totally change their diet too (but that's how I feel...I know others feel differently). I just have to make it a point to be extra, extra careful when they have friends over. I'll just eat after everyone else.

I was definitely glutened though...up all night with "you know what". But you know the good thing. I can tell I'm healing because the pain is no where as severe as it used to be. Yeah!! Might go on for awhile though. Oh well, it taught me a very good lesson.

Guest aparde

It is tough isn't it? I am sorry you got sick! We have so many diets going on in our house it isn't even funny. I try to stick with the basics of something everyone can eat such as meat, fruit and vegies. I then have a certain place for everyone else and keep washing my hands. We have 2 with severe food allergies, one who is gluten-free, and me who is on trial of gluten-free. My husband is the only one who eats normal.

Angie Parde

I am the only one gluten free in my house as well. And, I do prepare the gluten food for my family. We are getting a good balance now.

They have a gluten cabinet and counter where we prepare the gluten foods, and supper is always gluten free. I find that the other meals are easy to keep separate since I make the kids meals first anyway.

I hope you feel better, and I can relate to how you are feeling. It's hard, and I think that us "Moms", aren't always used to being so picky about these little things, but we have to be now.

:)

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

Improved on gluten free diet

Enterolab results confirmed suspicions on Jan. 29th 2007