Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

8 Months Pregnant And Having D Again

Guest cassidy

For the last two weeks I have been having D most days and a lot of gas. Since going gluten-free I never have gas, unless I'm glutened. I know I was glutened 3 times during my pregnancy but I didn't feel horrible any of those times so I'm concerned that I could be getting glutened since my bathroom habits are off, but I don't feel bad. It is hard to judge because my body has been acting so differently that I don't know what conclusions to draw.

I never eat in restaurants and I haven't added a new product at all - nothing not cosmetic or food or anything. I never get myself sick at home so I don't know how I could be glutening myself.

Could the D be from my intestines being so smushed? It isn't everyday and it is usually only once a day, but just not normally formed. I'm more concerned about the baby than I am for myself because I don't feel bad.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are you still consuming dairy? Sometimes people think they are glutening themselves, when in reality they are intolerant to dairy and/or soy as well, which can cause almost identical symptoms to gluten.

Since your symptoms aren't severe, I doubt that the baby is being harmed. Try eliminating all dairy and soy (and if that doesn't make a difference, maybe corn, or rice, possibly eggs........it could be anything, really).

If those symptoms persist after you have the baby, you can do a proper elimination diet. That isn't a good idea while pregnant. Cutting out a couple of things if fine, though. But you can't limit your diet too much right now, and a proper elimination diet would have you cut out too many things at once.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Cassidy. :)

When are you due? How many weeks are you at?

Your D could be from the baby changing positions and getting ready for birth. Could be hormones switching to get ready for birth. Could be some kind of food.

I'd opt more for the preparation for birth. I do know your bowel movements will get softer before you go into labor and can be a sign of impending labor. If you've had D for 2 weeks though I wouldn't think it was that. The book I have says D can be a prelude to labor (1-7 days before).

Keep us posted!

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Guest cassidy

I'm 30 weeks so I don't think it is a labor thing.

Ursa, I think I have found everything that I'm intolerant to. I have never had a problem with dairy so I would think it would be strange that I have always been able to have it and then all of a sudden I can't. I do have a long list of foods that I stay away from and I usually feel great when I do that.

I'm just wondering now if I was glutened last week and that the D just hasn't gone away. I know the other times it happened when I was pregnant I had D for a lot longer than usual and none of my other symptoms.

I just can't think of anything suspect I could have eaten and my stomach hasn't hurt at all. I hope it just goes away.

Cassidy, the diarrhea from a glutening can last as long as two weeks. So, maybe it is really still an effect of your glutening last week. Try not to worry, sometimes worrying alone (or anxiety) can cause diarrhea! I am sure your baby is fine. And your diarrhea isn't severe, and therefore won't cause dehydration.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am only 11 weeks along so I am at a totally different stage. But I also have had D, and don't think that I have eaten anything that could have glutened me. I haven't had it since I stopped eating gluten a year and half ago. Maybe it isn't a common pregnancy symtom like constipation seems to be, but it seems possible to me that with all the changes your body is going through that it could be normal. I was reading the book Frankly Pregnant this weekend and the author mentioned that she had bouts of D. throughout her pregnancy. I think she has a website with symptoms and it is mentioned there are well. I just try and eat a few pedialyte popsicles whenever it happens to make sure I still have enough fluids. I just blame it on the hormones!!

Gluten free since 10/05