Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munnky

Negative Blood Test?

Hi! I'm new here, Tori, 28/F, married, 1 daughter. I've been sick for about 9 years now, originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia and then a formal diagnosis of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome three years later (making the fibro secondary).

I am not convinced that fibro is all that is wrong with me, as I also have IBS, GERD and extreme fatigue - as well as weight gain that will not come off no matter what I do. About three years ago, I had a blood test done to check for celiac disease (not sure which one) and it came back negative. I still think there's a possibility of food allergies, though, and wheat/gluten seems the most likely choice.

I am going back to see the dr next week and ask for another blood test for food allergies, including gluten. I just was wondering, could I still have a gluten intolerance with a negative blood test?

Also, I started on a gluten free diet today - will this hurt anything if I'm not gluten-intolerant?

Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The gluten free diet is not bad. As long as you balance out your nutrients by eating a variety of fresh fruits/veggies etc you should be ok. The way I see it, any diet can be bad if you don't eat a variety of fresh foods.

You could have an intolerance, or non-celiac gluten sensitivity which wouldn't show up on blood tests for celiac. If you have an allergy test done make sure your doctor tests for both IgE (immediate)/IgG (delayed) allergies. The intolerance will more than likely show up with the IgG. If it was IgE you would know right away it was a problem.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

HI

I'd like to suggest you ck out this thread "Reliability Of Stool Tests For Diagnostic ?" that is running right now.

you might find some answers to help you on there.

I just posted on that thread.

I still feel that the gluten-free diet, if it helps you, is the way to go.

In my other post, i didn't include in the absence of symptoms in the first 3-5 months on the diet, the disappearance of the fibro pain.

It is still 80% better than it was before going gluten-free..

Good luck and let us know how you do at the dr. next week.

Judy

Judy in Southern CA