This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Out On Dates And Eating Gout With Friends

basketballstar15

basketballstar15 Newbie

Hi Im Abigail and I am 13 years old. I have been eating gluten free since January 2007! I was diagnosed because I am super short. I have grown an inch in eight weeks and am totally happy! but, i still am only 4'6. I hope i grow a lot over summer! Well, i'll get to the point. My first experience eating out at a restaurant was a week after i started the diet. It was a mess! I ate at Runza. I asked if I could have a hamburger with no bun. (after making sure the actual hamburger was ok.) at least they got that right! then i asked what brand of ketchup they had. they told me it was Heinz. I was so happy because Heinz is gluten-free. They after I put a ton of ketchup in my mouth the waitress came to my table and told me that it wasnt Heinz. My friend and I freaked out! Now i wonder what to do when i go out on dates with my boyfriend. What do I do?? Does anyone have any funny experiences like mine?? Please reply.

~Abigail B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Maybe your mom (or you) could put together a picnic lunch and the two of you could eat on a blanket. He might like this because it would save him money and he wouldn't have to do anything to prepare for it. Or, you could try to choose dates that don't involve food like movies, mini golf, bowling, etc. Cheeseburger in Paradise has a gluten free menu as well as a few other places (Outback Steakhouse, Bonefish Grill, Carrabas...)

Kassie Apprentice

chilis has a gluten free menu too, i just ate there today and it was delicious! just so you know, most ketchups are gluten free so you don't really have to worry about that.

basketballstar15 Newbie
Maybe your mom (or you) could put together a picnic lunch and the two of you could eat on a blanket. He might like this because it would save him money and he wouldn't have to do anything to prepare for it. Or, you could try to choose dates that don't involve food like movies, mini golf, bowling, etc. Cheeseburger in Paradise has a gluten free menu as well as a few other places (Outback Steakhouse, Bonefish Grill, Carrabas...)

Great Idea! i'LL TRY THAT!

basketballstar15 Newbie
chilis has a gluten free menu too, i just ate there today and it was delicious! just so you know, most ketchups are gluten free so you don't really have to worry about that.

yay! i LOVE CHILIS

• 3 weeks later...
Paris96 Newbie

ALSO OUTBACK STEAK HOUSE AND PF CHANGS HAVE GLUTEN FREE MENUS!! :lol:

basketballstar15 Newbie
ALSO OUTBACK STEAK HOUSE AND PF CHANGS HAVE GLUTEN FREE MENUS!! :lol:

Yay! :lol: I love those restaurants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceAddict Rookie

I used to not have much of an opinion about where we would go out to eat when on dates or out with friends. But I now know WHAT and I can eat and WHERE, so I am always the first to speak up about where to eat. The other day we were out and someone suggested Panera Bread. Um.....sorry, I'm not going. I spoke up and we went to a steak joint instead. I was not dx with celiac when I was your age, but I can't imagine how you do it. I find that I have to pay quite a bit more to eat out because I go to nicer restaurants where they will make things as you want them and then I tip VERY well to show that I appreciate the extra service.

However, there are some low cost fast food places that have things you can eat like Wendeys (I don't eat there so I don't really know what to tell you to eat) It would be handy for you to identify some places that you and your friends/boyfriend often go and research their menues and make some calls, that way you know where to go and what to eat. As time goes on and you start to memorize these menus, you can add more to your repertoire.

Hope this helps.

UNCHeel Rookie

I hope no one minds me posting since my teen years have long since past but we all share the same dining out issues no matter what the age. If you look up the triumph dining cards I think they will be of great help. They describe our limitations and you can hand them to the host even before you sit down so she can show it to the kitchen manager. They're translated into multiple languages for different cuisines and they're pretty affordable. Good luck and please don't let this stuff limit you in any way.

exsandohs163 Rookie

I am 19 years old. I have been Gluten-free since October..It has been hard to go out with friends and guys. I just have to explain over and over again what I can't have and what I can. They are always willing to go where ever I can eat. I love going to Texas Roadhouse and Ruby Tuesdays. For fast-food places I go to Taco Bell and get the Southwest Steak Bowl..it is very good if you like mexican food. At Wendy's I get the chili or the baked potatoe with the broccoli and cheese on it. In the city where I love a pizza place just came out with a gluten-free pizza. I went on opening day with my fmaily and they even ate some of my gluten-free pizza..it was soooo good. haha :P You can type in a restraunt's website to see if they have a gluten-free menu.

celiac3270 Collaborator

I've never eaten at the restaurant you mentioned, but I think 3 years of this diet have given me a different perspective than I once had and maybe a different one from yours. I know that everyone says verify everything and of course that's good advice--better to be overly paranoid than too loose about the diet. That said, as Richard (lovegrov) has told people quite often on this forum (and I didn't see his perspective until somewhat recently), there are certain foods that are just universally gluten-free. I have never seen a ketchup that was not gluten-free. Of course it's good to be careful, but don't limit your options even more by worrying about things that are far less of a concern. I'd be a million times more concerned that they contaminated the burger than that they put wheat in the ketchup. In that case, you can still eat at restaurants like the one you went to. Or just go on a date that won't revolve around food.

Archived