Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Annie/NM

Mood Swings

I have been gluten-free for 2 1/2 months now and am pretty good about it. At my follow up appointment my blood was in the normal range. I have been really moody the past few weeks though. I just feel overwhelmed and am wanting to take naps more and just feel unmotivated. I have 3 boys under 6 and I feel like I'm not dealing well with their hectic schedules and level of activity like I used to. I'm already taking Lexapro but wondering if this is still the gluten or if it is unrelated? I would really appreciate any input. I know my husband is really tired of the moodiness. TIA.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My wife had massive mood swings when she came off. I mean literally, troll queen from hell moodswings.

Part of it I think was situational in her case- having to change everything about your diet is hard, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is in yours.

However, they did settle down about 3-4 months in, especially once we'd gotten the hang of the little things- eating, shopping, all of that.

I'm really just here about my wife. Its all her fault!

One reason is gluten damages the endorphin receptors which control your bodies moods...

Your body releases endorphins to make you feel happy but they don't all attach and hence the body tries more.. jence a seesaw effect..

As they self repair it gets less.

If you are eating CODEX gluten-free.. (not real gluten-free) then these happen to me with trace amounts..

If I think I got glutened by accident first thing I do is use immodium sub-lingual... quite a few people here seem to have followed and its working for them.

These attach to the receptors thus blocking them for the gluten which damages them.

A perhaps useful side effecvt is they stop D as well (said tongue in cheek)

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)