Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kookaburra

Food Intolerant Celiacs - How Do They Know?

I'm hearing about celiacs being intolerant to food other than gluten. I think I understand the milk intolerance (the damage causes lactose intolerance, but can reverse after a gluten free diet and after the stomach has healed for say 6 mos or so?) but what about the other common ones?

Can these be identified by IgE (immediate allergy) or IgG (delayed reaction) blood tests?

Part of the reason I ask is that my four year old has classic celiac sypmtoms but since we've already taken him off gluten, we may never get a paper diagnosis. His IgG & IgE allergy tests show reaction to egg, soy, dairy (& a few others). Is this the reaction celiacs typically have? Might these other food allergies go away over time? How does this work? Or is he reacting to the proteins like Celiac Disease?

Thank you for your replies, as I'm confused about the allergy connection.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think with an IgE reaction, it isn't going to go away at any point.

I haven't heard anyone with a casein intolerance (different than a lactose one) getting over it.

I've heard people say they could deal with substances they had problems with after eliminating gluten for awhile. But I don't know if they tested positive.

One other intolerance I've heard is common in celiacs is yeast. I did run across a study showing that the yeast antibodies went away for some after a strict gluten-free diet. This happened more with the younger patients. http://tinyurl.com/2ahtmk Notice that these weren't IgE, though. I haven't seen anything similar for other intolerances.

I don't know that the IgG tests are the ultimate word. People seem to react to things that they don't have antibodies to or don't react to things where they do have the antibodies.

You can always try IgA testing through Enterolab. Their tests are said to work for up to a year after going off gluten. They also test for yeast.

When I asked, Enterolab told me that all my IgA reactions were permanent.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AshokPrajapat
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)