Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We've discovered that we really enjoy getting a smoothie or juice "concoction" at Juice It Up. I thought it would be at least sort-of gluten-free from what I could see. When I e-mailed the company, their response to me was that their drinks were not gluten-free. When I asked them what ingredients they used that categorized them as non-gluten-free, they responded with the plain yogurt that they use. I thought yogurt was fine unless it had a syrupy-fruity-type sauce and that sometimes may have something in it....but plain yogurt? How would that make a drink non-gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We've discovered that we really enjoy getting a smoothie or juice "concoction" at Juice It Up. I thought it would be at least sort-of gluten-free from what I could see. When I e-mailed the company, their response to me was that their drinks were not gluten-free. When I asked them what ingredients they used that categorized them as non-gluten-free, they responded with the plain yogurt that they use. I thought yogurt was fine unless it had a syrupy-fruity-type sauce and that sometimes may have something in it....but plain yogurt? How would that make a drink non-gluten-free?

My guess would be that gluten is used as a thickener in the yogurt. Many yogurts contain starches so they have the creamy consistency that people want. Heaven forbid we should have a good healthy food that is kept in it's original state but yogurt without a thickener might be they'd have to stir it when it seperated.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

My guess would be that gluten is used as a thickener in the yogurt. Many yogurts contain starches so they have the creamy consistency that people want. Heaven forbid we should have a good healthy food that is kept in it's original state but yogurt without a thickener might be they'd have to stir it when it seperated.

The manufacturers that be will put wheat into anything.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    PSHadle
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)