Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Julie-uk-nz

New Zealanders?

Hey guys,

I was diagnossed about 7 mths ago and i'm still struggling with the new diet :blink: . Some days are really good and i hardly think about it and then i have a bad day and it feels like going back to square one :o .

I've been in NZ for about 15mths and found out i was celiac whilst i was over here and pretty much dealt with it on my own with a lot of help from the internet. The celiac NZ is a good resource and friends/colleagues try their best. I'm heading back to the UK for a holiday via Tokyo for two nights (should be interesting :huh: ) and it will be an eye opener to see the differances and to see how my parents react to my new diet :ph34r:

This forum is so informative, i learn new things every time i come on here, who would have thought celiacs would have to deal with so much. So many of my symptoms/illnesses from my past make sense now!

I've just realised recently that cosmetics are making my skin really itchy, does anyone know of any products in NZ which are gluten-free? I'm using Treseme and clinque at the moment and i'm sure they aren't gluten-free. :angry:

Anyway it will be good to hear from New Zealanders and their experiences, tips, brands they use etc, cheers Julie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've just realised recently that cosmetics are making my skin really itchy, does anyone know of any products in NZ which are gluten-free? I'm using Treseme and clinque at the moment and i'm sure they aren't gluten-free. :angry:

I don't know much about cosmetics but I tend to get dandruff a lot. Could this have something to do with the shampoo or conditioner I use? I looked at the label and its just all these chemical names which mean nothing to me! I have been using dove and panteen and selsun blue and nizarol in a attempt to find one that works for me. Do you know anything about this? :unsure:

Welcome! You will also find Aussies and NZers living in this thread

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=22418

Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)

Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994

Low B12 November 2006

Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it

Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge

Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)

Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

I've just realised recently that cosmetics are making my skin really itchy, does anyone know of any products in NZ which are gluten-free? I'm using Treseme and clinque at the moment and i'm sure they aren't gluten-free.

I was being glutened by my makeup and had to change. I now use Mineral Makeup from JR Minerals in Victoria and love it! Its mailorder and yes they ship overseas ... http://www.jrminerals.com/ This company does skin care and shampoo etc - all gluten-free. http://caaw-international.com/caaw2007/ I found my talc powder was glutening me but I am extra sensitive. I have just started using the talc and deoderant and its lovely. I also ordered the shampoo and conditioner so will let you know on that :lol:

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

I was being glutened by my makeup and had to change. I now use Mineral Makeup from JR Minerals in Victoria and love it! Its mailorder and yes they ship overseas ... http://www.jrminerals.com/ This company does skin care and shampoo etc - all gluten-free. http://caaw-international.com/caaw2007/ I found my talc powder was glutening me but I am extra sensitive. I have just started using the talc and deoderant and its lovely. I also ordered the shampoo and conditioner so will let you know on that :lol:

Thanks I'll look in to that! Can we be glutend by just touching gluten containing food products or do we only get glutened by products that we absorb? Just a little confused!

Thanks I'll look in to that! Can we be glutend by just touching gluten containing food products or do we only get glutened by products that we absorb? Just a little confused!

Hi nzgirl

I'm not sure if we can be glutened by just touching gluten products, but I know cooking with flour will make me sick. I love cooking, so I will just have to stop treating my family, and cook them gluten-free stuff. I'm not sure whether it is because I am breathing in the flour, or whether it is being absorbed, but I think it is more like being breathed in.

Cathy

I was definately glutened by my old makeup. I don't wear it every day - so it was easy to track down the culprit. I still feed my horses with wheat hay without gloves but am careful to wash my hands immediately after. I threw out all normal flour so I would never be tempted to cook 'normal' food for my family again - as I was glutened by just cooking with it - flour dust I suppose. I have even heard of people getting Dermatitis Herpetiformis on their feet by using a shampoo with wheat in it - as the suds fall down to their feet - they get glutened..

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)