Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i also had the celiac panel done when i sent in for the enterolab test. I wanted to be sure on all counts. Well I just spoke to my doctor and i am positive for celiac. I guess I am one of the few that didnt need to have the DQ2 or DQ8 gene.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So what are your genes? I don't have DQ 2 or 8, but I swear I have Celiac (just not willing to do a gluten challenge to prove it). I have at least one copy of DQ3 subtype 7 (my son has two copies of it, so one had to come from me).

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

So what are your genes? I don't have DQ 2 or 8, but I swear I have Celiac (just not willing to do a gluten challenge to prove it). I have at least one copy of DQ3 subtype 7 (my son has two copies of it, so one had to come from me).

I am

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,6)

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Thanks. That's very interesting. I've read that DQ3, sub. 7 is almost exactly like DQ8 - I wonder if that's the key. My double DQ3-7 son is very gluten intolerant and it affects his digestive system and his behavior. His tests came out negative, but I think there wasn't enough damage done to show positive, since he's been gluten lite for most of his life.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

i also had the celiac panel done when i sent in for the enterolab test. I wanted to be sure on all counts. Well I just spoke to my doctor and i am positive for celiac. I guess I am one of the few that didnt need to have the DQ2 or DQ8 gene.

paula

Interesting. I took it as fact when I didn't have DQ2 or DQ8, that I didn't have the Celiac gene.

I don't want to know bad enough to go back on Gluten and get a biopsy...but I am certainly interested, being another DQ 3,1 Subtype 7....

Just goes to show you how much we don't know...j

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

Well, doctors have really just skimmed the surface of knowledge about celiac disease. While most identified celiacs have DQ2 or 8, not all do. There are other unknown factors at work. With identical twins, who would have the same DNA, there are cases where one twin has celiac disease and the other doesn't. So there are definitely other factors involved. And there have been documented, endoscopy proved celiacs who have neither of the genes. Given the fact that relatively few Americans have been diagnosed thus far (those diagnosed tend to be those with the worst symptoms...thus they seek help and thus they get a diagnosis). But remember the analogy of the iceberg....the diagnosed cases are the tip, and the undiagnosed are the mass under water. So the data on celiac disease is incomplete at this point.

Just remember: those without the celiac gene can be just as sick as those with the gene, and a gluten free diet can help all who react to gluten. If you do not have the officially recognized celiac genes, that does not mean being gluten-free won't help you.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AshokPrajapat
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)