Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bchapa

My 1 Year Old Just Diagnosed

Hello all, my 1 year old was diagnosed about a month ago and my wife and I were in complete shock. After the endoscopy came back clear, our doctor mentioned the possibility of celiac when the biopsy was studied.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It can cause pain but not always which makes it tricky with a child that young. A lot of people get stomach pain/cramps, but not everyone. Most parents will notice a difference in bowel movements and/or behavior. You'll probably have to go by the symptoms he had that lead you to seek a diagnosis.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Hello all, my 1 year old was diagnosed about a month ago and my wife and I were in complete shock. After the endoscopy came back clear, our doctor mentioned the possibility of celiac when the biopsy was studied.

Jessica Lambert

Just because no one in your family was diagnosed, doesn't mean that no one in your family has it. 1 in 133 Americans have Celiac and yet 97% of them are undiagnosed. Celiac symptoms range from debilitating to no overt symptoms (called silent Celiac). All first degree relatives of a dx'ed Celiac are recommended to have the full Celiac panel run. It "runs" in families because there is a genetic link to Celiac. The two main Celiac genes are HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8, which about 30% of the American population has (one or both). Just having the gene alone does NOT mean that you have Celiac. About 98% of diagnosed Celiacs have one or both of these genes.

The statistics for a family member having it are:

Group Prevalence (from a 2003 study by Dr. Alessio Fasano)

First degree relatives 1 in 22

Second-degree relatives 1 in 39

Symptomatic patients 1 in 56

Not-at-risk individuals (overall prevalence) 1 in 133

Check out the book listed in my signature...it is the best resource out there.

Hi!

I just came across your post. I would recommend you go to the Parents of Children and Babies Message Board here on Celiac.com, it is great to talk with other parents about your concerns, questions, etc. My husband and I have two small children and they have both been diagnosed with celiac disease through biopsy. Our oldest is now 4.5 and she was diagnosed about a month before she turned 3. Our youngest is 20 months and he was just diagnosed about 4 weeks ago. It was so much easier with our daughter, even though she was barely 3, she could talk and tell us how she was feeling. Her tummy certainly hurts when she gets even a spec of gluten but more importantly is her behavior. This is very common in children with celiac disease. Their behavior is terrible when they are "glutened". I would really recommend you go to the Parents of the Children and Babies part of this Message Board, I think you will find it most helpful!

Good luck to you and please know....it will get easier!!!

:)

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    PSHadle
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)